question

stevom avatar image
stevom asked

Off-grid system and Multiplus

Hello,

i have a question about a off-grid system.

We have a existing off-grid system with 3 quattro's and BYD LVL battery's.

We are thinking about adding a multiplus 2 and connect this to the grid and help to charge the battery on the dc side. Can we connect the multiplus to the cerbo on the offgrid system?

Or just install the multiplus as a standalone charger?

Any remarks? Is this even possible?

offgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. You have an off-grid system, but want to add a 4th MultiPlus to charge your batteries from the grid? If you have a grid, why define it as an off-grid system?

If you have grid power available, why not use your existing 3 Quattro's with the grid? Why would you buy a 4th MultiPlus just to charge the batteries?

Quattro's have 2 AC-inputs. eg. grid and generator. If you are not currently using both on your quattro's, couldn't you just use one of the available inputs and connect that to the grid?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stevom avatar image
stevom answered ·

In Belgium that is not allowed. Quattro is not synergrid aproved.

There is a offgrid system and a ongrid circuit. On the ongrid circuit there a couple of older pv inverters with certificates.

The plan is to put a multiplus on the grid and charge the battery instead of a generator.

Is this done before? Can we put the multiplus(VE.bus) on the cerbo (offgrid) or just have the multiplus as a standalone charger.

We will use the remote on the multiplus to turn off/on.Only charge when battery is low.

1 comment
2 |3000

tozz avatar image tozz commented ·

The approval requirement is regarding feed-in and LOM detection I assume? That's only an issue if you would feed in power to the grid. It doesn't have to have any approval if it's just used as a battery charger. Just as any other device that only consumes power such as a TV doesn't need to have this Synergrid approval.

But I suppose a secondary multiplus would work. But you probably can't connect it to your Cerbo. It will probably have to be a standalone device, and controlled by a 'Start/Stop generator' relay from one of the quattro's

0 Likes 0 ·
ess-and-solar-solutions avatar image
ess-and-solar-solutions answered ·

Just a thought, but how about using a dedicated charger e.g. https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/skylla-24v-48v#manuals and using the remote switch connection to turn it on and off the relay of the existing Cerbo (assuming you have one) or even a Quattro relay?

2 |3000

Related Resources