question

teknikbolaget avatar image
teknikbolaget asked

Victron smartshunt 500a connection boat 2-bat system

Hello!

Is this the best way to connect smartshunt to my boat?

I dont know if I can run bowthruster and anchorwinch trough the shunt?

I think it will be too much? Bowthruster is like 250a fuse, and anchorwinch 125a.

The engine has two positive outputs thats why there are two lines, it will feed the start battery to its full then feed the consumer bank.

smartshunt.png

SmartShunt
smartshunt.png (122.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @teknikbolaget

You seem worried that a 500A SmartShunt is too small? You can buy the shunt in bigger sizes, but cost more. But bear in mind that 500A @ 12V nominal is 6000W, and you'd need a lot of battery to do that for long. And monstrous wires.

If you bypass the shunt with anything, then it can't monitor the battery and becomes just an ammeter for the circuit it's on.

That diagram 3.4.1 would technically be ok as the positives aren't connected anywhere, and the negatives just a common ground link. In theory no current would flow, but I wouldn't do it that way.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

teknikbolaget avatar image teknikbolaget commented ·

Hi John!

Yes, I thought the 1000a haden't come out yet, but i can see now that i have.

I am a little worried because the bowthruster is fused at 300a and anchorwinch at 150a, so i will go for the bigger shunt and i don't need to care and worry anymore. =)

Thanks för you time!

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Not good. Check Victron site, they have many diagrams with examples.

1 comment
2 |3000

teknikbolaget avatar image teknikbolaget commented ·

I have looked a lot.. =)

Maybe this is better?

They have one pic with - to startbattery before shunt, and one after.. confusing!

smartshunt-2.png

1618824189142.jpeg

1618824197516.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
smartshunt-2.png (121.2 KiB)
1618824189142.jpeg (30.0 KiB)
1618824197516.jpeg (6.8 KiB)
jamie-noble avatar image
jamie-noble answered ·

In most cases the bow thruster and anchor winch will be supplied from the engine cranking bank due to the high current draw. The cranking batteries will have a higher CCA rating and are therefore better suited to this application. These two items are also generally only used when the engines are in operation.

The shunt would most likely be installed on your auxiliary bank and therefor not required to measure the current flow of these two devices.

Hope that helps.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic