question

neeyee avatar image
neeyee asked

15KVA Quattro Programmable Relay And Safety Switch Assistant

I have a 15KVA Quattro running ESS Assistant and set to use 60% of battery capacity for self consumption (Optimised without battery life).

I am looking to switch off/disconnect the AC output at 30% SoC in case of grid failure/load shedding/poor quality mains supply using assistants ( I understand from the ESS manual that the settings in the Ve Configure 'Inverter' tab for DC low voltage shutdown and shutdown on SoC are completely ignored while running ESS.

In the VeConfigure assistants page, I have set after the ESS assistant;

1) Programmable Relay (Drive on SoC), set 'Primary Programmable Relay' ON when SoC at 30%

2) Safety switch assistant set to switch off when the Aux 1 relay is set to ON.

3) Programmable Relay (Drive on SoC) to set Aux 1 back to OFF when SOC at 35%

I have written the assistants but nothing happens when SoC gets to 30%, the inverter keeps going and drains the battery beyond my desired setpoint.

I understand there is some additional physical wiring to be done for the safety switch to work - I have three questions.

1) Are the Primary Programmable Relay and Auxilliary Input 1 thesame?

2) If they are thesame is it safe to short the + and - on the Auxilliary input 1 without damaging the inverter?

3) Can anyone please help identify the specific physical contacts/safety switch connection points to use on a 15KVA Quattro and how to wire it up correctly?

MK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @NeeYee

I don't follow how exactly you are doing this, but this is how I'd do it:

if you want to switch part of the AC users:

-use AC-out2 for this, this is the 'switchable' output

-make sure battery monitor is enabled in Multi/Quattro (even if it is overruled by external monitor)

Please note that also in ESS the low voltage shutdown is used, but even in a better way as you can set different values at different loads in the assistant.

when using managed batteries (lithium with CANbus communication) these parameters are still used.

when I read your text again it sounds like you want to turn of the complete system at x% SOC, I wouldn't do that unless you have solar recharging the batteries. I'd use 'charge only' so the inverter will start up when AC input is available again.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neeyee avatar image neeyee commented ·

@Daniel Boekel

Thank you for your response.

I have no plans to use AC Out 2.

What I am trying to do is to switch off Quattro AC Out 1 at X% SoC using the safety switch assistant. There is sufficient DC charging from 4 SmartSolar MPPTs so no issue if the Quattro stays off extended.

Where I am stuck is trying to use the safety switch assistant to switch off AC Out 1. I understand there is some physical wiring to be done but it is unclear how to do it.

The safety switch assistant mentions Auxilliary Input 1 but this has a + and - terminal. Am I supposed to wire a switch to short these terminals together?

Also I am wanting to use the Programmable Relay Assistant to set the status of a relay ON or OFF to trigger the safety switch assistant. The assistant mentions a 'Primary programmable relay' but it is unclear what relay this is or if it is thesame as the Aux 1 on the Quattro?

0 Likes 0 ·
neeyee avatar image neeyee neeyee commented ·

If I could simplify the question

1) I need help to physically identify the 'Primary Programmable Relay' mentioned in the assistants. My device is a 15kva Quattro.

2) Confirm that this 'Primary Programmable Relay' is thesame as the 'Auxilliary Input 1' mentioned in the safety switch assistant.

3) Is it okay to short the + and - contacts on the Auxilliary Input 1 to drive the safety switch?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ neeyee commented ·

Hi @NeeYee

The 'primary programmable relay has it's own output, if you want to control 'aux-in 1' you have to wire them together.

I think you can just use the 'shut down on SOC' setting in ve.configure...

screenshot-2021-04-23-203805.png

0 Likes 0 ·
neeyee avatar image neeyee Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

From the documentation I understood that in ESS mode, the settings in the 'inverter tab' of VeConfigure are ignored.

This is why I was looking at the safety switch assistant to help perform a disconnect at my desired SoC.

Can you please point me to a manual or reference or document that identifies the relay, the wiring and correct usage of the safety switch assistant?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ neeyee commented ·

Hi @NeeYee

I'm not sure you want to use it like this. and don't know if the system will recover, please note that when using safety switch, the unit still consumes power from the battery

Also: when no grid input is available, it's basically an off-grid system at that moment. I'm not sure if 'shut-down on SOC' is working, you'll have to try that.

the low voltage shutdown in 'inverter tab' might not be used, in the ESS assistant you can us the 'Dynamic cut-off' settings that are great for protecting batteries:

screenshot-2021-04-25-150324.png

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic