question

riku avatar image
riku asked

Can i connect 2 panels at 75/15 MPPT controller?

I bought today on our local store ( AkkuPojat ) the bluesolar 75/15 solar charge controller.

I did said I will connect on future 2x150W (18v) panels to it and the vendor say don't do that it will kill/damage the charge controller. is this true the victron has no limitations on output current at 15A ? the vendor said don't do that, it has no protection.

I have 1x150W panel on my van (future reservation for 2x150W) and i don't need bigger controller, i want to compensate only for cloudy days, as now 150w is more than enough for what i run.
I do have now Chinese epever there, but that have cloud and RFI (I'm ham radio user) issues, so decided to go for victron and try that.

So question is, will the victron MPPT chager kill/blow/brake/explode if i not exceed the voltages and short circuit ratings? and yes i am an electrician, so i know what I'm talking about, just asking does 15A limitation work on this device or not? I really hope our dealer won't provide false information as they are victron importer.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Only a PV voltage higher than 75V can kill the MPPT. The output will be limited to 15A.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

riku avatar image
riku answered ·

thanks for answer

that i thought so, just was confirming that there is no matter how many watts panel power is. and the mppt wont breake. so the seller was wrong, he said connecting more panels(if they are connected right, even voltage not exceeding 75volts) will void the warranty, that is wrong.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
I do have now Chinese epever there, but that have cloud and RFI (I'm ham radio user) issues, so decided to go for victron and try that.

Hold on. I've seen some reports about radio interference from some Victron solar chargers, too. Ideally you should test this before you buy.

2 |3000

justmurph avatar image
justmurph answered ·

I dare say your seller just wanted to sell you more controllers.

When the panels can exceed the output current capability of the controller, the controller simply raises the voltage to a point of the curve where panel output drops off.

I ran my system like this for a long time with no issue. While your peak power won't be huge, the area under the curve is.

2 |3000