question

dylanhale avatar image
dylanhale asked

Mppt charger settings

I’ve got 3 Victron super cycle 12-230 batteries, connected to a victron solar charger (150/60). I use a victron battery monitor, and even when the batteries are at 75%, it’s still in float. I’ve looked, but couldn’t find the right answer for this. What settings should I input for this battery / charger combo? Funny thing, I’ve got the multiplus as well, it works fine right out of the box as a charger ... no setup needed. Anyway - didn’t want to make a setting error, so thought I’d ask. They should have a default for these batteries:)

MPPT SmartSolarAGM Batterymppt charging
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@dylanhale@gmail.com

There are preset defualts for the batteries you have. So no complicated setup needed just click the right one.

The multi program for grid charging does need to be set though.

If your batteries are getting enough charge but bmv is showing 75% you may have a capacity error?

Just a guess as more information would be needed to know for sure really. Did you program the mppt and bmv for the battery bank?

0 Likes 0 ·
dylanhale avatar image dylanhale Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks for your post! Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a default. There Gel default (1) and (2). I’m not sure if either on is right for the supercell. I’ve tried both. I did try changing the rebulk voltage last night (.4 to .3).. perhaps that will trigger it going back to bulk vs flipping to float mid day. I am wondering if it’s just the BMV that’s the issue... meaning maybe the mppt is keeping up, but the state of charge is wrong. I’ve got the capacity set up correctly, but wonder if I have the charge voltage set correctly? Also weird ... shows I’m discharging even though mppt is generating way more than I’m using ..

a96101bf-7a1b-4ee4-9986-f9c7c6c9da2f.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @dylanhale

Just use either Gel(1) or Gel(2), the (1) just has a softer Float V, which I prefer for longer days.

But please fix that Temp Comp value in the settings. This isn't your fault, it came from a C > F conversion error in VictronConnect, which has been fixed but seemingly hasn't fixed the default settings it mistakenly applied. From memory it should be -9mV/degF or -16.2mV/degC, but I can't find the actual recommended for those batts.

The 75% SOC may just be wrong. Look at the A on the BM as a guide. If the A is ~7A or less at Float V the batts will be awfully close to 100% SOC. Look up the manual for your BM unit and get to know it.

And if you happen to have a GX device as well, the onboard DVCC could remove any remaining worries you may have re your charging schedule. Ask if you need..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic