question

danielkr avatar image
danielkr asked

Horizontal mounting of Victron BlueSolar 75/15

Hello,

I have a Victron BlueSolar 75/15 connected to a 120W solar panel. The 75/15 has no cooling fins at the bottom but just a solid flat metal plate.

The manual states that it should be mounted horizontally (as a general statement for all BlueSolar MPPT charging controllers) and there have been similar discussions in the forum around the larger controllers. However, is that really a "must" for this small controller using it well below maximum power spec?

Reason why I am asking is that I would like to mount it flat on top of my Peli case containing a LiFePo4 battery for camping.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Daniel

MPPT ControllersEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
I have a Victron BlueSolar 75/15 connected to a 120W solar panel.
Reason why I am asking is that I would like to mount it flat on top of my Peli case containing a LiFePo4 battery for camping.

Since you are well under its maximum power, I think horizontal mounting should be fine (as long as it is not enclosed in a box and not in direct sunlight (keep that Pelican case in a shaded place/indoors).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

for what its worth, I have a 75/15 smartsolar that has been installed flat for over 2 years with a 200w array and now has a 250w panel on it. Its in a cool location but I havent had any issues. Obviously, you invalidate any waranty and do it at your own risk

2 |3000