question

stevect avatar image
stevect asked

Smart Shunt Weather Protection

I'm installing a Smart Shunt on my travel trailer. Does it need to be protected from the weather in a box or is it weatherproof? It's located on the underside of the trailer behind the battery boxes.

SmartShunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drlbradley avatar image drlbradley commented ·

I've seen some use the BlueSea System "MaxiBus Insulating cover for PN2127 and 2128" for the BMV712 shunt . You would have to check the dimensions to ensure it would cover the SmartShunt given its additional depth. Let us know how you get on!

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @SteveCT

It's only IP21 rated. Put it in a box.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I would use a box similar to the one for the BMV-700H including the water tight glands.

2 |3000

daniel-davis avatar image
daniel-davis answered ·

Definitely put it in a box. I made the mistake of thinking it would be OK in a somewhat dry place, got a splash of water and died. I've now put the replacement in an IP67 polycarbonate enclosure with watertight glands.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic