question

Gustavo G avatar image
Gustavo G asked

EasySolar 48/5000/70-100 MPPT 150/100 car charging

I have a Easysolar 48/5000 in a van, how can i charge my house batteries from the car when driving?

Can a have a Victron Phoenix 12/1200 VE.Direct connected to my car and connect that to the ac in (230v) on the Easysolar? Or do a need a DC to DC charger?

The van has not the Eu6 smart generator. This is a off grid solution and no shore power is connected.

Thanks

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Gustavo G

12v to 48 is very unusual 12v to 24v is more reachable, or 24 to 48 if you are wanting to go DC to DC

The topic has been covered by several threads.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/41792/how-to-charge-a-48v-system-from-a-12v-vehicle-alte.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAskELTuzJI

But your idea for the Pheonix 12/1200 can work. Several things to note - the charge current for your batteries on the easy solar would need to be set right down and you would need to protect your car battery from discharging. also check you are not overworking your alternator.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Gustavo G avatar image Gustavo G commented ·

For others that read this topic, i did put a Pheonix 12/1200 to charge the 48v battery from the cars alternator when the engine is running.

Thoughts

1. The efficiency to go this way is bad, since you lose going from 12v to 220v to 48v.

2. I set the easy solar in charge mode only and limit it to 2 amp, which give me around 400 w/h into the battery.

3. Since I don't want to put to much stress/heat on the alternator, pulled only around 500w, a better inverter would be a smaller one like the Pheonix 12/500 or 12/800.

4. Yes, I forgot to turn the inverter off one time when I turned the engine off. So set a cut of voltage on the inverter so that the car battery isn't empty for the next ride.

0 Likes 0 ·