question

edvanz avatar image
edvanz asked

Skylla-i error when nmea2000 out from Cerbo GX is connected

My Victron setup is 2x Quattro in parallel to VE Bus, 2x smart solar mppt and the Skylla-1 in parallel connected to a Cerbo GX via VE-Can also a REC BMS is connected to VE BMS everything works well. As soon as I connect the VE-can to NMEA 2000 cable the Skylla-i goes into error mode. All the cables have been replaced with the exception of the ve-can to nmea2000 cable. When I remove the VE-Can to Nmea cable the Skylla-i comes back to life. When the Skylla-i is removed from the parallel string the VE-Can to nmea 2000 cable doesn't cause any problems. When the Skylla-i is running stand-alone (just with the control panel ) it works fine also, I also have swopped the ve can ports on the Skylla-i and the Cerbo GX but it makes no difference. I haven't got the fuse installed in the VE-Can to nmea2000 cable as my Maretron network is already powered. I also tested my new spare Cerbo GX same results. Any ideas???

chargerNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

edvanz avatar image edvanz commented ·

I have also escalated it via the dealer network hoping for an answer

0 Likes 0 ·
edvanz avatar image edvanz edvanz commented ·

Guess what the dealer network pointed me back to here!!!! I assume there is more knowledge here.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @EdvanZ

My first thought would be a ground loop and/or supply voltage mismatch

I'd first try only connecting CAN hi/lo wires and nothing else.
And measure if there is a potential difference between grounds of the two systems connected.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

edvanz avatar image edvanz commented ·

So do you mean to make my own NMEA to VE Can cable? I have been testing today and the settings in the Cerbo GX are 500 kbps for the BMS Can ports and 250 kbps Oceanvolt for the VE Can ports. The Rec BMS Q series needs 500kbps. Even with nmea out disabled in the Cerbo the Skylla switches into error when the cable is connected to the nmea network. But my maretron nmea 2000 network meter doesn't see an error on the hi/lo or ground when connected and that meter is pretty good

0 Likes 0 ·
edvanz avatar image
edvanz answered ·
Hi @Daniel Boekel Making a new cable with only CAN-H and CAN-L solved the problem. I think that when connecting it to a powered nmea network and you remove the fuse you also have to cut the Net-C(v-). I didn't do that as I'm returning the cable back for a refund. It could also be that the cable is just faulty but my problem is solved!!!
1 comment
2 |3000

Glad to hear! seems to have been a good guess ;)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic