question

Sebastian Nobody avatar image

MultiPlus-II GX reboots every 2 min on its own: Broken?

Setup: AC-in to grid on L1, no AC-outs, 48 V 10 kWh lithium battery, EM24 grid meter to USB, LAN to router, BMS with 2 wire to T.Sense and Aux2, 4 kW PV on L1

Hi Folks,

two weeks ago my Multiplus-II GX 3k internally exploded (many Power-Mosfets were gone...). My local dealer sent me a new unit under warranty. This was running fine for 6 days now. I copied the exact same setting which where running for more then a year perfectly.

Yesterday during adsorption phase (56.7 V) the unit suddenly rebooted on it own. Then it keeps rebooting every ~2 min. In the evening I disconnected AC and DC and also said "Rebooting" in the menu. The whole night it was running fine.

But today, also around noon during adsorption phase, it started again. I did further tests. The unit reboots even on its own when it's connected to DC only! I disconnected AC, USB grid meter, LAN, 2 BMS conntacts, etc.

I have the feeling that the unit can not handle my Vmax of 56.7 V properly. Or maybe some deep settings are scrambled. I also tested a release firmware with no luck.

Before I need to send the unit back again I want to be clear that this is not just a software issue. Any ideas?

multiplus-ii gx
4 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I have the feeling that the unit can not handle my Vmax of 56.7 V properly.

56.7V battery voltage should not be an issue at all.

The cause is elsewhere. Maybe AC voltage spikes?

It reboots even when ONLY the DC side is connected. So AC side can't be the problem. What can cause such regular reboots/crashes?

No I am discharging and the voltage dropped below 56 V and no reboots anymore. That's why I think >56 V is with this unit a (hardware) problem. Or some deep settings are wrong? But actually I used the exakt same config from the last unit.

seb71 avatar image seb71 Sebastian Nobody ·
It reboots even when ONLY the DC side is connected. So AC side can't be the problem.

Not now. Sometime in the past.

If the first "exploded" and the second is rebooting, maybe some AC surge damaged both.

OK, understood.

But I don't think this is very likely. I am in Germany and the net is quite stable. The old one was getting too hot over time. Maybe there was a fan/ventilation issue is my idee.

The new problem seems something different. But really strange of course that I am so unlucky...

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Sebastian Nobody

There are some other systems that have this issue also, as we now finally have been able to reproduce it in our lab, hopefully there will be a solution soon.

It has indeed to do with higher DC voltages.

I'll email you.

If there are other users with this issue, please leave a message below an I'll email you also.

9 comments

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks for your answer. I am relieved to hear about this from you. I already started to argue with my local dealer as he thinks that it could be my fault.

That sounds very bad.

According to the datasheets it should be able to handle 66V battery voltage, so 56.7V should not be any issue at all, since it is well under the maximum allowed.

Which other models (if any) are affected by this issue? Or maybe only certain batches?

I don't have this issue (Multiplus II 3kVA/48V), but so far the maximum DC voltage I had was only 55.12V (I intentionally set a lower voltage for charging the battery).

Hi @Seb71

it's models with the GX-card inside, not a lot are affected, that's why we had difficulty finding a unit that did this on the workbench also.

marekp avatar image marekp Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ·

Does this apply only to MP-II GX?

Is EasySolar-II GX also affected?

'models with a GX-card'....so yes also Easysolar.

I used to run 4.05 V for each individual cell as max voltage. I have 18650 NMC cells.

Now I will try 4 V => 56 Volt until victron solved the issue. If that fails again 3.95 V etc.

seb71 avatar image seb71 Sebastian Nobody ·

Yeah, sorry for putting you on the wrong path. It was hard to believe that such a low DC voltage could be the issue.

Hi Daniël

I have noticed that my device is doing same, it is keep rebooting every 2 minutes. Can you help me? Please email me too

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Sebastian Nobody

Just a thought. In the GX there's a VRM Portal screen that gives a check option - "Reboot the device when no contact". Make sure it's turned off..

1 comment

That's what I checked first. It's off.