question

Sebastian Nobody avatar image
Sebastian Nobody asked

MultiPlus-II GX reboots every 2 min on its own: Broken?

Setup: AC-in to grid on L1, no AC-outs, 48 V 10 kWh lithium battery, EM24 grid meter to USB, LAN to router, BMS with 2 wire to T.Sense and Aux2, 4 kW PV on L1

Hi Folks,

two weeks ago my Multiplus-II GX 3k internally exploded (many Power-Mosfets were gone...). My local dealer sent me a new unit under warranty. This was running fine for 6 days now. I copied the exact same setting which where running for more then a year perfectly.

Yesterday during adsorption phase (56.7 V) the unit suddenly rebooted on it own. Then it keeps rebooting every ~2 min. In the evening I disconnected AC and DC and also said "Rebooting" in the menu. The whole night it was running fine.

But today, also around noon during adsorption phase, it started again. I did further tests. The unit reboots even on its own when it's connected to DC only! I disconnected AC, USB grid meter, LAN, 2 BMS conntacts, etc.

I have the feeling that the unit can not handle my Vmax of 56.7 V properly. Or maybe some deep settings are scrambled. I also tested a release firmware with no luck.

Before I need to send the unit back again I want to be clear that this is not just a software issue. Any ideas?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

15 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Heinvdb and others,

good news: there is a fix and it is swapping the GX card for a card with a hardware fix, this can be done by an installer or at the dealer.

Please contact your dealer / distributor for help with this.

13 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Is this fix is a global "recall" of all affected GX models?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ marekp commented ·

only units that have issues have to be fixed.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Do all GX boards, in those units, are affected?

If I change the setup and my battery will go over this critical voltage, will I have a problem with my board?

Currently my Absorption voltage is set to 56.5V. (The author of the first post has problem with 56.7V)

What will happen if I set it to 57.6V

Is there a time limit for this fix?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ marekp commented ·

no time limit.

because not all units are affected, it was difficult to find the cause and took some time.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you for this reassurance.

When you mentioned the hardware fix, I assumed that all GX boards have a problem. Do you have a unit serial number, or range of serial numbers, that have this problem?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @MarekP

I don't have that information, and don't know if we have it, maybe we'll know more later.

0 Likes 0 ·

Do you have the procedure to test if GX board have this problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
rbienert avatar image rbienert commented ·
Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff). Is this problem still going on? I recently got my Multi II GX and it seems to be doing it also. Voltage shows 59.16.

Thanks,
Rolf

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ rbienert commented ·
Hi @rbienert

Yes, your GX is too old. please contact your dealer for repair.

0 Likes 0 ·
rbienert avatar image rbienert Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) . Is there a particular case number or reference I can give them?
0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ rbienert commented ·
Hi @rbienert not really, if your dealer mentions 'GX card rebooting' to Victron repair department they should know enough.
0 Likes 0 ·
mise avatar image mise commented ·

Hi Daniël,

I seem to have the same problem as described above - my Victron EasySolar-II GX keeps rebooting every 2 minutes or so. The reboot does not affect the output 230V AC. Unlike the instance described by Sebastian Nobody, the battery voltage seems to have no influence on the rebooting. The reboot occurs when using electricity from the grid. I haven´t noticed the problem when using the electricity from batteries. Typically, rebooting occurs when more than 1000 W is consumed (and grid power is used). Do you think the two issues might be related?

Thanks!

Mi Se

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·
Daniel we have a 5kVA GX that is doing this now - it is serial HQ2131 - DC bus is only at 55.6-55.8V on FreedomWon. Is this the same issue
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
I have the feeling that the unit can not handle my Vmax of 56.7 V properly.

56.7V battery voltage should not be an issue at all.

The cause is elsewhere. Maybe AC voltage spikes?

3 comments
2 |3000

Sebastian Nobody avatar image Sebastian Nobody commented ·

It reboots even when ONLY the DC side is connected. So AC side can't be the problem. What can cause such regular reboots/crashes?

No I am discharging and the voltage dropped below 56 V and no reboots anymore. That's why I think >56 V is with this unit a (hardware) problem. Or some deep settings are wrong? But actually I used the exakt same config from the last unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Sebastian Nobody commented ·
It reboots even when ONLY the DC side is connected. So AC side can't be the problem.

Not now. Sometime in the past.

If the first "exploded" and the second is rebooting, maybe some AC surge damaged both.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sebastian Nobody avatar image Sebastian Nobody seb71 commented ·

OK, understood.

But I don't think this is very likely. I am in Germany and the net is quite stable. The old one was getting too hot over time. Maybe there was a fan/ventilation issue is my idee.

The new problem seems something different. But really strange of course that I am so unlucky...

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Sebastian Nobody

Just a thought. In the GX there's a VRM Portal screen that gives a check option - "Reboot the device when no contact". Make sure it's turned off..

1 comment
2 |3000

That's what I checked first. It's off.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Sebastian Nobody

There are some other systems that have this issue also, as we now finally have been able to reproduce it in our lab, hopefully there will be a solution soon.

It has indeed to do with higher DC voltages.

I'll email you.

If there are other users with this issue, please leave a message below an I'll email you also.

10 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for your answer. I am relieved to hear about this from you. I already started to argue with my local dealer as he thinks that it could be my fault.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

That sounds very bad.

According to the datasheets it should be able to handle 66V battery voltage, so 56.7V should not be any issue at all, since it is well under the maximum allowed.

Which other models (if any) are affected by this issue? Or maybe only certain batches?

I don't have this issue (Multiplus II 3kVA/48V), but so far the maximum DC voltage I had was only 55.12V (I intentionally set a lower voltage for charging the battery).

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ seb71 commented ·

Hi @Seb71

it's models with the GX-card inside, not a lot are affected, that's why we had difficulty finding a unit that did this on the workbench also.

0 Likes 0 ·

Does this apply only to MP-II GX?

Is EasySolar-II GX also affected?

0 Likes 0 ·

'models with a GX-card'....so yes also Easysolar.

0 Likes 0 ·
jema2000 avatar image jema2000 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Please mail me too.

Thx

0 Likes 0 ·
Sebastian Nobody avatar image Sebastian Nobody seb71 commented ·

I used to run 4.05 V for each individual cell as max voltage. I have 18650 NMC cells.

Now I will try 4 V => 56 Volt until victron solved the issue. If that fails again 3.95 V etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Sebastian Nobody commented ·

Yeah, sorry for putting you on the wrong path. It was hard to believe that such a low DC voltage could be the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
hankm avatar image hankm commented ·

Hi Daniël

I have noticed that my device is doing same, it is keep rebooting every 2 minutes. Can you help me? Please email me too

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ hankm commented ·

Mail sent!

0 Likes 0 ·
heinvdb avatar image
heinvdb answered ·

Hi,

I have the same problem.

I have a multiplusII 48/5000 GX. With all the latest firmware (482 and 2.66 for ESS). When charging voltage is around 60,5V , the GX reboots every 2 - 10 minutes. After reboot, it shows for 10 seconds or so "ESS OFF"

"Reboot the device when no contact" is turned off.

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff), Would my device also been affected?

2 |3000

Was avatar image
Was answered ·

hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ,
my EasySolar-II GX has the same problem, can you please email me ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Was

As written back in may:

good news: there is a fix and it is swapping the GX card for a card with a hardware fix, this can be done by an installer or at the dealer.

Please contact your dealer / distributor for help with this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nicholas Rotenko avatar image
Nicholas Rotenko answered ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) , I have the exact same problem with an EasySolar 48/3000 GX. High DC voltage, reboots almost exactly every 2 minutes. Do you need to email me something or do I just contact my dealer? I have 18 Lithium cells. Normal voltage above 60V. Max. shouldn't go above 65.7 Should be able to handle that?

2 |3000

steve-carter avatar image
steve-carter answered ·

Is this thread still live? Or should I create a new one for my issue @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I installed a 48v 200Ah Lithium battery yesterday and noticed this rebooting today. As of right now, its not occurring, but the voltage is currently sitting at 54v as the sun goes down. It did it all morning whilst the battery was charging.

Device is an EasySolar II 48/3000 GX.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Steve, best to contact your supplier for a fix.

0 Likes 0 ·
jema2000 avatar image jema2000 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Please email me too

Thx

0 Likes 0 ·
sgrigor1 avatar image
sgrigor1 answered ·

I have the same issue with my EasySolar II GX.

Is there someone that know what hw rework to do? I bought my inverter from someone and I don’t have warranty . What other options do I have?

1 comment
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

@sgrigor1

If your problem is the "restarting", contact Victron distributor because Victron Service stated that there is no time limit on free repairing of this problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
jema2000 avatar image
jema2000 answered ·

I have noticed that my device is doing same, it is keep rebooting every 2 minutes. Can you help me? Please email me too. Easysolar 2 gx

2 |3000

daiko avatar image
daiko answered ·

Hello Daniël,

I think my Easysolar II GX also has mentioned issue. Is the fix still available? I received the system in Februari this year.

Thanks. Gr. Johann

2 |3000

jema2000 avatar image
jema2000 answered ·

I have the same issue too. Please mail me too. Any fix?

2 |3000

jose-a-portillo avatar image
jose-a-portillo answered ·

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue with my MultiPlus-II GX 48V 5000VA Inverter-Charger while using a generator on AC1 (mostly on high battery voltages during absorb and equalize stages).

FW: v2.92 + 500:

captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-29-a-las-231152.png

captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-29-a-las-231208.png

The issue renders the remote console unusable. If you need to make any adjustments, you need to go fast to the desired menu or the screen will freeze and you'll need start over from the Device List screen.

During the reboot, you need to wait until the browser lets you reload the page, then wait until the MultiPlus-II appears on the list, then wait until actual data is displayed on screen (not "Unknown" state).

The sequence is this:

captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-29-a-las-225936.png

captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-29-a-las-225941.png

captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-29-a-las-225945.png

captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-29-a-las-225950.png

captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-29-a-las-230010.png

Please mail me too.

Thank you.

2 |3000

johnny avatar image
johnny answered ·

I have the same issue. Should i contact the one i bought it from in Sweden or can i get a board sent to me?

Regards Johnny

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Always contact dealer.
0 Likes 0 ·
steve-carter avatar image
steve-carter answered ·

Not sure what happens in Sweden, but in Australia it was return to reseller for repair. Best of luck with it.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic