question

johan-granqvist avatar image
johan-granqvist asked

Can i use one of the outputs of a Argofet isolator as a connection stud?

My argofet sits between the batteries and the alternator. I want just one one cable connected between the Argofet to the positive battery post of the starter battery. Can i use the output stud on the argofet to connect a cable to the engine starter? I will save some meters of cable and fuse the cable going from the batteryargofet.jpg

Argo FET Diode
argofet.jpg (25.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

I would think that the ArgoFET would require a significantly smaller fuse than what would be required for starting loads.

Another option would be to use the starter motor positive post as the connection point for a fused wire to the ArgoFET battery connection. This is assuming that the ArgoFET is reasonably close to the Starter motor.

Otherwise I would install a distribution busbar near the ArgoFET and fuse each wire accordingly.

This last option would allow for some future expansion if you ever need to add more devices into the sytem.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johan-granqvist avatar image johan-granqvist commented ·

I will use 70mm2 cable from alternator to battery to prevent voltage drop, and a 35mm2 from the starter to the argofet. But will put a fuse next to the battery that will hold when starting the relativly small engine. The Fuse will be around 80 amp. The alternator is delivering 60 amp. It should work. I was just a little bit afraid that i somehow could hurt the argofet when starting the engine..

0 Likes 0 ·