question

vommatthias avatar image
vommatthias asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 and two Panels

Hello,

i am running the mppt 100/20 together with following solar panel since one year for my pool-pump.

The mppt/20 loads a 12V battery and a step up converter provides 230V for the Pump and in future hopefully also for the "Pool Heater".

The Panel has following specification

Nennleistung: 360 Wp
Toleranz ca.: + 3%
MPP-Spannung: 39,00 V
MPP-Strom: 9,24 A
Leerlaufspannung: 47,50 V
Kurzschlussstrom: 9,71 A
Zellen: 156x156mm, 72 Monokristalline Zellen, Class A

Is it possible to connect a second identical Panel to the mppt100/20 and can the Smart Solar Charger handle it? My plan is to connect a"Pool-heater" and therefore i need a bit more power :-)
How should i connect them? In row or parallel?

Thank you very much for your support in advance.

Best regards

Matthias

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panelmppt chargingsolar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Your existing 360W PV panel is already capable to produce more power (in sunny weather) than the 100/20 solar charger can output when used with a 12V battery.

You would need a second charger for the new panel.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vommatthias avatar image
vommatthias answered ·

Hello and thank you very much for your answer.

Would it also be possible to upgrade to the MPPT 100/50? According to the specs it can handle 700W. Would that work?

Best regards

Matthias

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

That would work, but your only option would be to install the two PV panels in parallel and you must make sure that the new panel is exactly the same as the old panel.

Voc = 47.5V is too big to wire them in series for a solar charger with maximum 100V.

Also buying another 100/20 charger would be about half the price of the 100/50 charger.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic