question

msmolow avatar image
msmolow asked

CanBus Pinouts

The pinout from the battery BMS does not contain a ground. The Cerbo GX shows a ground.

May I wire the Cerbo GX connector with only the CAN H and CAN L and no GND?

Do I use the remote LED Negative wire from the BMS as the Cerbo ground?

pinout.jpg

cerbo gx
pinout.jpg (152.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @msmolow,

yes. Only use CAN-H and CAN-L. No other wires.

As far as I remember from a Victron document it is recommend to not wire the GND to prevent ground loops.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

My SeeLevel N2K tank system required a ground connection to work. I believe this is because the Ve.Can output of my CCGX is isolated. The same is also true for my CANable USB adapter I'm now using with my Raspberry Pi running Venus.

So if you don't get any data without a ground, try connecting the Ve.Can ground pin to something like the chassis or the battery negative (or in your case the LED negative pin in the connector.

1 comment
2 |3000

Now that you say isolated VE.Can port on the CCGX, these ports on the Cerbo GX are not isolated and this was the reason to leave the GND off.

I had my own erratic moments with a diy cable between Cerbo and NMEA 2000 until I removed the ground wire.

0 Likes 0 ·
msmolow avatar image
msmolow answered ·

Thanks all. It turns out it's an academic discussion. The BMS is RV-C, which I just read Victron does not support.

2 |3000