question

ers avatar image
ers asked

connecting 2 different sized mppt charge controllers connected to 1 single cable coming from parallel connected solar panels

• how efficient would it be to connect 2 different sized mppt charge controllers connected to 1 single cable coming from parallel connected solar panels ? to be clear: one cable will come from solar panels (6 panels) and will be connected to 2 seperate mppt charge controllers in parallel (the 1 combined cable carrying all 6 panel currents). the reason i’m asking is 1) 1 mppt controller is not big enough to handle all parallel connected panels 2) i already have one cable run through from panels, i don’t want to run another cable from the panels and want to keep only one cable if this setup would make sense.
MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panelmppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

This is not a supported configuration. You can only connect 1 MPPT per solar array.

You will need to split the panels up so that they are not connected in parallel, and run 2 sets of cables down independently, one for each MPPT.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ers avatar image
ers answered ·

not supported means can’t be done ? i really don’t want to run another set of cables down to mppt what else i can do?

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Don't even try this.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic