question

vpbarkley avatar image
vpbarkley asked

multiple charge inputs with a single Argo FET Isolator

We have multiple charge sources and two battery banks.

1. Can I attach multiple charge sources (charger, alternator, MPPT) to the same Argo FET Isolator?

2. This relates to how the Argo FET apportions power. The house battery bank size is 1000 Ah and it will frequently be drawn down to 50% of capacity. The start battery bank size is 300 Ah and it will generally be close to fully charged. Will the Argo FET limit overcharging of the start battery bank in this condition?

3. Can the terminal for the third battery bank remain unattached on the Argo FET Isolator?

4. This relates to sizing the Argo FET Isolator. The charger is a Multiplus 12/3000/120. The alternator is rated at 160 amps. Battery bank sizes are 1000 and 300 Ah. Which size Argo FET Isolator do I need for this application?

I wish the manual had more information.

Thank you.

Argo FET Diode
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

I think the best solution to your issue is.

Use the Argo FET to Split your Alternator outputs. It's not 'smart' the current will flow to the discharged battery while the voltage is held at whatever the alternators set to. usual alternator charging issue.

Use the multiplus to charge your batteries, 'house batteries' directly, this should never be connected though a FET or battery protect which uses the same technology and can only pass current in one direction.

Connect the trickle charger output from your multi plus to your starter battery (this is a small blade contact well labeled in the multi. this will deliver plenty of power to keep the starter bank topped up.

The Argo FET you need is an Argofet 200-2 which has two outputs.

Your MPPT will be best connected to your house battery directly so it can accurately sense the voltage.

If you wish to use excess solar to trickle charge the start batteries this could be done, but I expect it isn't needed.

If you need to charge them quickly you can use the emergency battery link between your two bank and the multiplus will charge them via that.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thebounder avatar image
thebounder answered ·

@Jwfrary picking up on your answer (admittedly a bit after the event!)

Use the Argo FET to Split your Alternator outputs. It's not 'smart' the current will flow to the discharged battery while the voltage is held at whatever the alternators set to. usual alternator charging issue.

The question I'm looking to answer is simply whether I can connect two alternators to the input post of an appropriately rated Argofet. We currently have an old and obsolete X-split for which an alternative could be needed.

Thanks

2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Well, yes you can but depending on the alternator you might have to make wiring modifications or fit something like balmar centerfielder or one of the alts will basically just be along for the ride.

You will only really run into an over charging condition if your using an external regulator to drive the alternator, if your sticking stock alts then a normal splitter arrangement probobly the best just from a system simplicity point of view.

2 |3000