question

hovr avatar image
hovr asked

Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-18 'Charge is Disabled' but still charging at low amp

I have an Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-18 Isolated charger installed in my travel trailer, but it only charges my battery @ 5-6 amps, and the app actually shows 'charge is disabled', would appreciate it if someone could help figure out what's wrong, some additional information:

- Charger is connected through my SUV's 7pin cable, the 12v charging wire in 7pin cable has a 20A fuse in SUV's fusebox.

- Although it's isolated charger, I had to connect both input ground and output ground wire to my trailer's ground busbar, as I need a common ground for other wires (brake, turn signals) in the 7pin cable.

- I also wired the running light wire of 7pin to charger's switch pin, and verified when I turn off the running light from SUV, not charging was happening and when I turn it on, charge resumes at 5amp.

- I was charging 200ah 40% SOC LiFePo4 batteries, which should be able to take way more amps than 5amp.

- SUV's alternator is rated 180A.

- The app actually displayed 'charge is disabled'

Anything wrong? I also noticed when I changes the settings from config, it actually trip the fuse twice, indicates somehow there was > 20a current flow through fuse/wire,

img-1189.png

chargerOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
img-1189.png (233.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mengbo avatar image
mengbo answered ·

I have the exact problem and do you have any idea so far?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

randyfraser avatar image
randyfraser answered ·

Same issue here. I suspect it might be a situation where the unit needs to be disconnected from the output battery source before making changes to settings and saving them? But while my app indicates Charging is Off, for sure current is flowing. Weird. Looking for input from Victron here...

2 |3000

Henk avatar image
Henk answered ·

I had an similar challenge, I managed to solved it by switching off the engine shutdown detection and hard wire an switch to the small plug to enable charger.

I founded that even the App was showing charger disabled, I was measuring Amps with my amp meter going to the battery. Seems like the App was not responding correctly.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC-DC converters product page