question

Csaba Köböl avatar image
Csaba Köböl asked

Advice on my Solar Upgrade

Hi,

I am newbie solar nerd, currently living off-grid with non-victron 24V system 7x285Wp(3S,2S2P) panels, 8x100Ah gel batteries in serial-parallel+2x220 victron gel, but it is time to upgrade because I "need" it.

I have place for 15 panels on my roof, so I am planning to upgrade to 48V with two strings (each 7x 450Wp mono panels) with SmartSolar MPPT RS, MultiPlus II-5000, 6x Pylontech US3000C

My first question :
my usual hourly consumption is only 500Wh, so would be more cost effective to add a smaller inverter before the MultiPlusII just to save some watts ?And yes I need the 4000W for some of the machines, but just for a few hours in a week. So can I turn on the power by automatic request on the MPII? If yes , how to do it setting-wise.
Scenario 1 : I am using my usual 500Wh but I want to do the laundry which eats 3500W at the start, so I need the power of MP-I

Scenario 2 :My batteries are below the low limit e.g.30%, so I want MP-II to turn on to charge them.

My second question :
Is Cerbo needed if I want to read multiple tanks and other measurements or it can be done directly just with RPi via com port?

Multiplus-IIRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel answered ·

Hi @Csaba Kobol,

The MultiPlus-II has a pretty low self consumption (I think 35W) and also something called AES to further reduce the self consumption if there are no loads. How would you add a 2nd small inverter to your system? On the Multi's AC-in? Or would you have a switch so you can switch your loads between the Multi and the other inverter?

I think you best bet is to look into using AES and stick with you Multi.

Jan

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Csaba Köböl avatar image Csaba Köböl commented ·

I was. thinking about AC-in. but based on your answer I will look into AES. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·