captainpalapa avatar image

Upgrading Multiplus Firmware

I believe my RV's Victron setup has FIVE components:

• MPPT (1)
  • MPPT (2)
  • SmartBMV monitor
  • Color Control GX
  • MultiPlus (the big unit, inverter).

Now, the Victron app on the phone shows these EXCEPT for the MultiPlus.

Question 1: Is this normal to not see that unit?

Question 2: I've been having some strange issues, my sorta-vendor (not the original installer) has suggested updating the firmware. (Of course they did.) I have already done so on the components that show up, but how do I check / upgrade the firmware on the Multiplus?

Would appreciate any insight you can offer. I will detail out my 'strange issues' in another post.

Firmware Update Issue
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
captainpalapa answered ·

Looking to even SEE what the latest firmware is turns out to be confusing.

This URL: https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware/

Has a folder for "VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros)". In that folder, however, are NOT product ID numbers. Instead there are four combinations of 120/240 and "large" or "small" microprocessors. Assuming this is even the right folder, how am I supposed to know "large or small" processor sizes? I've done enough firmware updates in my lifetime, but this is a bit confusing. I'm used to seeing a changelog, by product. Or at least, a general firmware changelog, and which products said firmware is compatible with.

3 comments

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

This document explains the VE.Bus firmware numbering system.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/manual-VE.Bus-firmware-versions-explained-EN.pdf

The folder structure on professional follows where the folder "VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros)" has all the changelog files, instructions files and also the firmware explanations document that I linked above, The the firmware files themselves live in their relevant folders where name begins with the first two digits of the firmware of your device ("27 - 120VAC Products with large microprocessor"), then find the firmware file with the third and fourth digits which relate to your device.
Nice and easy - once you know.

So, as you can now see, the latest firmware for your device is 2702481.vff

Thanks! Appreciate that. After looking over the procedures, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have my sorta-vendor handle it. While I am quite technical (programmer for 30 years!), I don't just don't feel comfortable jacking with the house's electrical system. I loved how easy it was to upgrade everything else, but the Multiplus needs cords and adapters and backups, etc.

Since I'm NOT dead in the water ( see: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/81193/system-reboots-happen-under-certain-circumstances.html) I think I'm okay waiting until I get to their location in Elkhart. I definitely don't understand why all the other components were easy to upgrade, yet they made the Multiplus so dang difficult. (Maybe newer models have it easier.)

captainpalapa answered ·

Okay, seeing Product ID 2702, Firmware 413.

I'm surprised (since I'm accessing this on my local network), that I can't upgrade the firmware without physical cables.

1 comment

There is a Beta version of GX Firmware (Venus OS 2.65) which can do that. Still under testing.

Edit

You'll still need that MK3-USB, because the above method requires FW 426 or newer.

Also it requires a minimum version of CCGX (HQ1707).

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

You need a MK3-USB interface (cable) and a Windows PC/laptop to update the Multiplus firmware.

You can see the Multiplus model and firmware version via CCGX:

Device list - select the inverter - right arow - Device.

Look for Product ID and Firmware version.

Or you can see this in VRM - Device List - VE.Bus System.