captainpalapa asked

Upgrading Multiplus Firmware

I believe my RV's Victron setup has FIVE components:

• MPPT (1)
  • MPPT (2)
  • SmartBMV monitor
  • Color Control GX
  • MultiPlus (the big unit, inverter).

Now, the Victron app on the phone shows these EXCEPT for the MultiPlus.

Question 1: Is this normal to not see that unit?

Question 2: I've been having some strange issues, my sorta-vendor (not the original installer) has suggested updating the firmware. (Of course they did.) I have already done so on the components that show up, but how do I check / upgrade the firmware on the Multiplus?

Would appreciate any insight you can offer. I will detail out my 'strange issues' in another post.

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
captainpalapa avatar image
captainpalapa answered ·

Looking to even SEE what the latest firmware is turns out to be confusing.

This URL: https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware/

Has a folder for "VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros)". In that folder, however, are NOT product ID numbers. Instead there are four combinations of 120/240 and "large" or "small" microprocessors. Assuming this is even the right folder, how am I supposed to know "large or small" processor sizes? I've done enough firmware updates in my lifetime, but this is a bit confusing. I'm used to seeing a changelog, by product. Or at least, a general firmware changelog, and which products said firmware is compatible with.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

2702481.vff

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

This document explains the VE.Bus firmware numbering system.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/manual-VE.Bus-firmware-versions-explained-EN.pdf

The folder structure on professional follows where the folder "VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros)" has all the changelog files, instructions files and also the firmware explanations document that I linked above, The the firmware files themselves live in their relevant folders where name begins with the first two digits of the firmware of your device ("27 - 120VAC Products with large microprocessor"), then find the firmware file with the third and fourth digits which relate to your device.
Nice and easy - once you know.

So, as you can now see, the latest firmware for your device is 2702481.vff

0 Likes 0 ·
captainpalapa avatar image captainpalapa wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks! Appreciate that. After looking over the procedures, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have my sorta-vendor handle it. While I am quite technical (programmer for 30 years!), I don't just don't feel comfortable jacking with the house's electrical system. I loved how easy it was to upgrade everything else, but the Multiplus needs cords and adapters and backups, etc.

Since I'm NOT dead in the water ( see: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/81193/system-reboots-happen-under-certain-circumstances.html) I think I'm okay waiting until I get to their location in Elkhart. I definitely don't understand why all the other components were easy to upgrade, yet they made the Multiplus so dang difficult. (Maybe newer models have it easier.)

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

You need a MK3-USB interface (cable) and a Windows PC/laptop to update the Multiplus firmware.

You can see the Multiplus model and firmware version via CCGX:

Device list - select the inverter - right arow - Device.

Look for Product ID and Firmware version.

Or you can see this in VRM - Device List - VE.Bus System.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
2 |3000

captainpalapa avatar image
captainpalapa answered ·

Okay, seeing Product ID 2702, Firmware 413.

I'm surprised (since I'm accessing this on my local network), that I can't upgrade the firmware without physical cables.

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

There is a Beta version of GX Firmware (Venus OS 2.65) which can do that. Still under testing.

Edit

You'll still need that MK3-USB, because the above method requires FW 426 or newer.

Also it requires a minimum version of CCGX (HQ1707).

0 Likes 0 ·
tschuu avatar image
tschuu answered ·

would like to ask something in addition for clarification for myself.

I've got a Multiplus 2 with an identifier ID: 2629 and Firmware: 492 on it.
The right Firmware from Professional webpage will then be the following:
230VAC products -> 400 Assistant Firmwares -> 4629498.vff
is that correct?
Thank you!

Best wishes

2 |3000

tschuu avatar image
tschuu answered ·

done, was the right version, just to close this topic.
Found some more Videos for selection of the firmware, which helped me to be safe enough to update (not upgrade :) )

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic