question

nmac5200 avatar image
nmac5200 asked

Improved performance CCGX

Wrapping up an install on a boat with CCGX, 3x MPPT, 2x Multiplus, Wakespeed regulator and finding that CPU utilization is always over 4 and frequently hitting 5 on VRM diagnostics.

Was hoping to use Grafana for some custom displays, but it looks like the CPU is so maxed that real time data via MQTT is not possible.

Tried shutting off NMEA2k, and all other non mission critical services with limited improvement.

Not experiencing any reboots and the system generally runs well, but it's clearly maxed.

There is no space for a Cerbo and the cutout for the CCGX display is very different from the CERBO display.

Are there plans to release a CCGX with improved capabilities any time in the future?

Thanks

Nigel Macleod

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nmac5200 avatar image
nmac5200 answered ·

Just a final update on this question.

The CCGX was successfully replaced with a Cerbo and a GX-Touch with CCGX adapter kit.

The system is far more responsive, Grafana and some other iPad Signal K monitoring software updates every second or two instead or 10 seconds or longer.

CPU utilization is 0.5 to 1.5 during the day with all solar active.

Looks like there is plenty of processing power left for any later additions.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I can't speak for Victron, but I doubt with all the work that went into the Cerbo that they would go backwards on a second ccgx. You can get an adapter to mount the cerbo touch in the same cutout as the CCGX:

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/gx-touch-50-adapter-for-ccgx-cut-out

That doesn't help your situation if you really can't fit the cerbo, but thought I'd post in case you didn't see this.

2 |3000

nmac5200 avatar image
nmac5200 answered ·

I had not seen that adapter. Definitely solves part of the problem - thank you!

Unfortunately the location of the CCGX is the front panel of a power distribution panel that is already jammed.

But solving the display issue provides additional motivation to find a home for the Cerbo.

Thanks again!

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I find the Raspberry PI makes a decent host for Venus OS. I'm running a RPI 4 and it's much faster than the CCGX I had previously. Haven't compared it to Cerbo. You'll need USB adapters for all your Ve.Direct devices and an MK3 for the Multis. There are many options for CANbus as well.

The "official Raspberry PI 7" touchscreen" works well for me or you can use a separate HDMI touchscreen.

2 |3000

nmac5200 avatar image
nmac5200 answered ·

Thanks Kevin. I understand the RPI based implementation - which sounds like fun, but this is a turnkey installation on a large yacht. DIY is not really an option.

I have ordered the physical display adapter that nebulight mentioned to see how it fits.

If that flies, then the next step is rejiggering some of the conduits inside the panel to make space for the Cerbo - which should be plug and play.

But honestly, all this could be avoided if there was a faster CCGX in the offing.

At night I am seeing CPU loads 2.7 to 3.25, but during the day it's rare to see anything under 5.

I assume all the cycles are going to manage the MPPTs.

2 |3000