question

vicky avatar image
vicky asked

MultiGrid and three ET112 at ACout1- how?

Changing my setup I'd like to connect three PV inverters to the ACout. So far had two ET112 to the ACout, which worked well. I.e. I don't see the individual PV values but the sum of both, which is OK as I work with the Modbus data mainly.

Today I tried to add a third ET112, so I changed the Bus ID with Gavazzi Software. The meter is recognized by the Venus, however - I cannot assign it to the ACout1 like the other meters.
It offers the tickboxes ACout1, ACout2 and ACin but If I tick ACout1, it defaults back to ACin.
Is there a limit of two meters at the ACout?

txs

PS: don't worry about the factor 1 rule, my three inverters never get peak power at the same time.

Energy Metermultigrid
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Maybe @WKirby or @Izak (Victron Energy Staff) can help with this.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one.
I can't test this because I only have two meters all together.

0 Likes 0 ·
vicky avatar image vicky wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Meanwhile I defined the third PV Inverter as a generator, where the VRM ID is 36 then.

I can read the power data via Modbus, however data is missing in the totals of VRM portal then. I'd appreciate if somebody could tell me f there is hope/an option existing to make it work as third PV Inverter at ACout. Maybe @Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ;o)

As a workaround I thought to cascade two meters. See picture. This would allow to capture all PV generated in VRM and I still would capture individual meters' data. Electrically it shouldn't problem, but I have no clue how the Venus/VRM uses and interprets the VRM IDs. Would my setup below work or screw up things?

Thanks guys

1615820902165.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1615820902165.png (257.1 KiB)
2 Answers
matthias-roetzer avatar image
matthias-roetzer answered ·

Hi @Vicky

Seems we are currently working on similar issues.

* How are your meters connected to your Venus? via native RS485 or via USB converter?

* Which Modbus IDs are you using 1,2,3,4 ?

I'm asking that because yesterday I tried to connect two et112 and one et340 to my venus (OctoGX) via ONE USB/RS485 converter.

* two devices are working with Modbus ID 1,2.

* all devices with ID from 3 and higher are not working together with Venus (but working well with UCS software)

In the community forum I found posts that only two meters in parallel are working and that further meters have to be added through further USB/RS485 converters

So I'm very curious how you successfully connected physically four of these meters to your Venus device.

I'm having a 3ph system consisting of three MP2. What I ran into further is that I don't know how to assign the ET112 PV Inverter measurement to the phase where each PV inverter is connected to. For digital feed in I have found the assignment, but not if PV inverter input is measured via ET112.

Your answer is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Matthias

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vicky avatar image
vicky answered ·

Hi @Matthias Roetzer,

I can confirm three meters using one USB/RS485 don't work with the Venus :o(. At least I was unable to make them work. They do work perfectly well with the CG software, even four meters work with CG at the same bus ..... So I ended up with using two RS485/USB Adapters where Meter IDs are 1 & 2 each bus. This is my current setup. (forget the Ethernet/Powerlan components, they are transparent for the RS485).
Screenshots for each meter's config from RConsole Energy Meters _Config.pdf

Hope this helps somehow.

1617629852002.png

1617630568812.pngAlthough the Console does only show one PV inverter at AC out (968W) it is the summary of all three ET112 meters.

1617629242043.png

1617629242043.png (265.1 KiB)
1617629852002.png (434.2 KiB)
1617630568812.png (256.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

matthias-roetzer avatar image matthias-roetzer commented ·

@Vicky Many Thanks! That helps a lot! Especially that Eth/RS485 is working well in you design.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Energy Meter Selection Guide