question

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis asked

VenusOS: package managers other than opkg? Possible to run apt-get?

hello all,

I'm trying to install a remote access tool on my rpi3B+ running VenusOS Large on the boat and I'm hitting this problem again which is I guess a venus wide one:
no apt-get, so cannot install tailscale
no raspberry binary to install ZeroTier.

I understand VenusOS only has opgk manager, is it possible to install others, or do I have to go low and download sources and built from source editing makefiles et al?

Haven't done that for almost 30yrs so expect I'll fail miserably...

cheers

V.

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David Hopes avatar image David Hopes commented ·

I'd be interested in this too, mainly so that I can install the required packages to create a Py3 Gatt d-bus integration. Also, as an aside I'd like to reduce the number of Raspberry Pi's that I have to power and just have one that can also run my home assistant, Venus OS large etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

The issue is not what packagemanager there is. The issue is that, unlike for example Raspbian, we dont feature an overcomplete list of pre-built packages.

But you can build from source, on the device as well as on a pc, and in case there is somthing commonly used you’re welcome to send in a pull request that adds a recipe to the optional installs.

Or, as Vassilis did, compile from source and write up a howto: super nice!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David Hopes avatar image David Hopes commented ·

I understand that, and I've only attempted to install the packages for the gatt driver I'm building but failed at many hurdles, I have a lot to learn! I didn't realise you're actively accepting community PRs, that's great!

0 Likes 0 ·