question

rbark avatar image
rbark asked

Power to Cerbo GX

Can I use a different 12VDC source to power my Cerbo GX, or do I have to use the supplied wire that connects to the batteries?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

You can supply the Cerbo GX with 8 to 70 V DC supply, protected with a 3A fuse.

You do not need to use the included cable, be careful that the connection terminal has a good grip on the copper wires though, with no strays.

It is strongly recommended to run it from the DC bus, and not a DC converter powered by the AC output of the inverter.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Guy, does this mean that 3A at 8V is the maximum current it will draw? So, if I had an application where I needed to power a Cerbo without a battery being involved, I could get any of the following and be fine:

12V @ 2A

24V @ 1A

48V @ 0.5A

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

It can be difficult to get a certain maximum - for example connecting additional USB accessories will draw more, as will more processing if there are many VE.direct devices, and if there is a GX touch screen connected how bright it is set.

But generally - Cerbo GX power draw without GX Touch mounted: around 2.8W. With GX Touch 50 connected, and backlight off: 3.8W. Backlight at max intensity: 4.8W

So yes, each of those should be fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Guy. Appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
rbark avatar image
rbark answered ·

Well, I planning to use an unused 12VDC cable that was used to run a 12VDC refrigerator but Im guessing that won’t work because I’m pretty sure that is powered by the inverte. So, I’ll run new, longer cables from the DC buss to the Cerbo. Thanks, Richard

2 |3000

rbark avatar image
rbark answered ·

The cable that came with my Cerbo has a 1amp slow blow fuse! Is that not good enough?

1 comment
2 |3000

I haven't heard of any issues with the supplied fuse.

See my answer below for typical power consumption - the 1A should be fine.

0 Likes 0 ·