question

denis70 avatar image
denis70 asked

E-starter Generator linked to Cerbo GX

Hi there,

I'd like to instal a generator that could run automatically when needed on my solar installation (420W panels, mppt 100/30, AGM gel 265Ah, Cerbo GX). My issue: I see only super expensive 4Kwh machines. Does anyone know a reliable brand with a 2Kwh product that could cost less than 4000€?

Many Thanks

Generatorauto gen start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

look for a generator that has a push button to start. I used a King Canada 4000w. And then used a set of timed relays the relays were cheap off ebay and made by DEI. (528T relay) these can be setup to pulse from 6 to 90 sec. and to pulse on either powered up or on disconnect.

Then you only need to run 2 wires to generator to start or stop.

I have now a Cummins/Onan P4500i generator. and only need 1 timed relay for starting. But I installed 2 relays in generator to work a DPDT switch for powering the remote starting. And it takes a 4 wire control cable to generator now.

The King Canada gen was 999.00 cdn. (Made by Ducar for various companies. Westinghouse. Cummins/Onan, etc.) each has its own electronics but engine and chassis are similar if not the same.)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

denis70 avatar image
denis70 answered ·

Thanks cleaver for the tip and the explanation. The self made wiring sounds not super easy to my brain but I'll try to understand. I'm in Europe (Switzerland), trying to understand what kind of model I could find!

2 |3000

cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

It does get fairly easy. But only once you decide on a generator. Each one will be different. Diesel generators are difficult due to needing the warm up and shutdown periods and I suggest to definitely look at different options.

As for warm up time I solved it by purchasing a surge protector that has a timed contactor for allowing power through. 120 seconds if I believe. However no timer for shutdown.

If your looking at a hard mounted generator for your application. They make devices that will monitor and start stop the generator. I just saw another post with what might work.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/56290/onan-generator-autostart-w-mppt-10050-multiplus-12.html

2 |3000

denis70 avatar image
denis70 answered ·

Gosh, ok. Not super easy but doable for my unexperimented hands. It means I can buy almost every e-start machine and rewire it. Correct? Like this SDMO TECHNIC-6500-A-AVR-C5? https://www.kohler-sdmo.com/EN/Products/Portable-power-generators/TECHNIC/TECHNIC-6500-A-AVR-C5

(it's already twice the price but it appears European market is way more expensive than US/Canada one and the brands are not the same. Maybe somebody knows a cheaper one).

Thanks anyway

2 |3000

cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

So that generator has an amp202 control. It has a remote signal in. Search that manual and contact manufacture to see if it needs a momentary signal or can it be continuous to run.
that needs to be know. As well can the key be left on without draining battery quickly. This info determines if you need relays or can just use the GX device relay.
also note this is not a quiet generator. If you didn’t notice that.
Is this for an RV?

2 |3000

denis70 avatar image
denis70 answered ·

Thanks for the tips! The battery issue could be fatal. And yes, contacting the manufacturer sounds logical.

I'm in a remote area and I can possibly install the gen outside the cabin and inside a shelter. I already have a Honda Eu20. It's perfect except the manual start and I'd like to use some electric items even if I'm not there (dehumidifier for example).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic