question

blutow avatar image
blutow asked

SmartShunt keep losing firmware after losing power, requiring updates to work again

I've got a smartshunt that works fine when it's working, but seem to lose it's firmware when I disconnect it from power (just some of the time). The system is still in bench testing mode as I await delivery of my van. I'm currently building/testing batteries, so I'm doing a bunch of cycling on and off. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I apply power back after disconnect, the SmartShunt isnt working. I connect via bluetooth/victron connect and it requires a firmware upload. Screen shows:

current version: None

New version :v4.05

I install the firmware (again) and everything works fine again for a while. I can't pin down a specific set of events that triggers it besides the power down, seems very random. It is connected to a CerboGX via ve direct cable. Screen shot attached.

img-0490.png

SmartShunt
img-0490.png (149.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
marcotrotamundos O avatar image
marcotrotamundos O answered ·
after living for four months with this problem, it has been solved with the 4.14 firmware update. 
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That should not happen. Contact your dealer.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Hmm. I bet most don't ever disconnect the shunt from the battery, once installed. I hope it's just a "one off" issue.

2 comments
2 |3000

blutow avatar image blutow commented ·

Yeah, a one-off I could accept as a fluke, but it's happened multiple times.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 blutow commented ·

I understood that. Your SmartShunt is probably defective.

I meant I hope it is not an issue affecting many other SmartShunts.

0 Likes 0 ·
marcotrotamundos O avatar image
marcotrotamundos O answered ·

I've the same problem after upgrading to v4.08. I'm using a Lynx bms and the smartshunt 500 just as a dc meeter for dc system in my motorhome. Everytime I disconnect the battery, when connectig again it works normally showing dc loads on cerbo screen, but when i enter victronconnect via bluetooth it keeps asking me to upgrade again to v4.08 showing "actual versión: none"

¿Must it be replaced? Anyway, it's working and communicating ok with cerbo gx

2 |3000

danr avatar image
danr answered ·

I am having this same problem as well. I didn't previously, but now if I leave the batteries off long enough (overnight) the shunt loses firmware. The Cerbo does not see it until I bluetooth connect and update the firmware.

2 |3000

dram avatar image
dram answered ·

Same with my shunt since the last app update. :(

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @DraM

Sorry to hear that! Have you already updated its firmware to v4.14?

This is the changelog for that:

v4.14 – 8 March 2023

- Fix for lost firmware. In rare situations the SmartShunt would require a firmware update after a cold boot (powerup). When this happened, the functionality of the Smartshunt was fully restored by completing the update. There was no impact on the History and the Settings i.e both remained unaffected by this issue.

- Fix for failing updates. In some rare situations the update was aborted due to an unexpected internal hardware event.

0 Likes 0 ·
dram avatar image dram mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

The current firmware on my SmartShunt is v4.12, running the VictronConnect app v5.82 on my phone.

Should I update the app to flash the v4.14 to my SmartShunt? Would that help?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ dram commented ·
Yes, that will help for sure!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic