question

Chris Van Dyke avatar image
Chris Van Dyke asked

Simple wiring diagram for temp sensor inputs Victron ASS000001000 to Cerbo GX

I have a Cerbo GX and Color GX screen. I want to add temperature sensors for my two batteries. 1. Does the sensor go on + or - terminal of battery? 2. Appears only one input on Cerbo and there are two wires from sensor? How do I connect wires to Cerbo unit. Thanks!

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There are four temperature inputs on the Cerbo.
Here you can see I have connected just two temperature sensors to it on inputs 1 and 2:

1614638361544.png

On the other end, connect the sensor its self to the negative battery terminal.
This sensor lug does not need to be connected to anything of you are not measuring battery temperature. Leave it floating in mid air if you want to measure air temperature.

1614638361544.png (1.8 MiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chris Van Dyke avatar image Chris Van Dyke commented ·

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·

Very helpful. How do I activate sensors. they are not showing up on color 50

0 Likes 0 ·
apl avatar image apl Chris Van Dyke commented ·

I have the same question. How do I make them show up on the color 50?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ apl commented ·

Hi!

See the Settings -> I/O -> Analog inputs menu.

Have we not explained that in the manual?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello @cwvandy,

1. That temperature sensor is electrically isolated, so you can put it wherever you like, it doesn't even need to be on the terminal of the battery at all to function.

2. When making the connection you need to have the included terminal block of the Cerbo GX, then make the connection like this; with the red wire on the top and the black on the bottom.

temp-sense.jpg

temp-sense.jpg (2.5 MiB)
13 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

make the connection like this; with the red wire on the top and the black on the bottom

This should be added in Cerbo GX manual (chapter 2.9).

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ seb71 commented ·

@Seb71, I'll note that the "red on top, black on bottom" is alluded to on the top of the Cerbo itself, where it notes that "Data" is the top row and "Ground" is the bottom row... but I'll definitely +1 the suggestion to add that information into the actual manual, particularly given how small the print is on top of the Cerbo!

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA

Ha ha. I had to take a closer look. I haven't noticed those Data/Ground markings on the Cerbo GX case until now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ seb71 commented ·

@Seb71 LOL, honestly I was right there with you... I only noticed them after I'd already taken a multimeter to the pins to verify the polarity... pulled out the test unit, powered it up, tested polarity at the pins, and was putting the test unit back in its box when I noticed the print and facepalmed :-P

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Also only just noticed the Data / Gnd markings.
Mmm, how did I know to do it right without knowing? Second nature I guess.

0 Likes 0 ·
energy avatar image energy seb71 commented ·

Yes, this image it must be added to the manual. Someone really lost concentration when they wrote this section of the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ energy commented ·

Hi all, thanks, we'll add that!

0 Likes 0 ·
rlynch03 avatar image rlynch03 seb71 commented ·
Is it possible to have the Temperature Readings (for the 4 Analog Inputs) to show on the Nema 2k network?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ rlynch03 commented ·
Hi, no its not, sorry.

In the Cerbo manual there is a list of supported data. Tank levels are included. Temperatures are not.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

And from the same Cerbo GX manual:

It is possible to adjust the temperature offset and scale.

temperature-sensor-setup.png

These two settings are missing from my Cerbo GX (in FW 2.60 and also in FW 2.63).

My temperature sensor is measuring high, so I would need to use the offset to correct the displayed temperature value.

Edit

I found the answer to this: those two settings are only available if you have superuser permissions. Strange decision, but after enabling root access I could correct/offset the temperature value.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ seb71 commented ·

Hi, they’ll be more generally accessible in one of the future firmware updates.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks much. Any advice on how to active sensor. Plugged into cerbo properly but does not show up on settings in color gx 50.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Chris Van Dyke commented ·

In Cerbo GX:

Settings - I/O - Analog Inputs - Temperature sensor 1/2/3/4 (Enable/Disable).

After it is enabled, the temperature sensor should show in Device List in Cerbo GX and from there you can set it up further (type, name, etc.).

1 Like 1 ·