question

martink avatar image
martink asked

Mppt: Reduce charge current at low temperature

I have seen, that it is possible to stop the charging of a Lithium Battery at low temperatures with a MPPT Smart Charger and a Smart Battery Sense.

But I have a Battery, that can be charged at lower Temperatures with a current derating.

So is it possible to set a reduced charge current at low Temperatures or is only disabeling Charging possible?

I have also seen, that there was a "Low temperature charge current" setting added in the HEX-Protocol after firmware 1.30.

Thank you.

Martin

MPPT ControllersSmart Battery Sense
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi MartinK,

I’ll find out and let you know

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Martin,

I checked, and its a feature that we chose not to make publicly available.

So, indeed its possible by using the HEX protocol. But, the feature is not available via VictronConnect.

So, after setting it using the hex protocol (you’ll need to do some software development or tinkering for this), make sure to not touch it using VictronConnect.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

martink avatar image martink commented ·

Ok, thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
mdbrown avatar image
mdbrown answered ·

This is a feature that we VERY MUCH would like to see.

2 |3000

northtown2022 avatar image
northtown2022 answered ·

Can the feature be made possible please?

1 comment
2 |3000

Al avatar image Al commented ·

You can set different charge currents based on temperature using: https://louisvdw.github.io/dbus-serialbattery/ driver for Venus OS.

Or probably also with Node Red, but I've not tried Node Red yet.

0 Likes 0 ·
northtown2022 avatar image
northtown2022 answered ·
  • Sounds just like what im looking for. Didn't realize Louis driver was capable of this. I had attempted the install a few months back but my cerbo didn't recognize the battery. That BMS has since failed. Perhaps ill give it another shot. Thanks Al!
2 |3000

Related Resources