question

mule29 avatar image
mule29 asked

Smart Shunt in a marine application

I am looking to add a smart shunt to 2 12v 100ah Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries in series in order to monitor state of charge.

I have an onboard battery charger with positive and negative leads to each battery.

Would both negatives attach to the shunt?

Also would the bilge area on my boat (where my batteries are) be a suitable environment for the shunt?

Thanks

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I don't think there is a solution if you individually charge your series batteries.

Or maybe I understood wrong and the batteries are not in series?

If the batteries are in paralel, you connect the negative wires from each battery to the "Battery Minus" side of the Smart Shunt and everything else (all other negative wires from loads and chargers) to the "Load" side of the SmartShunt.

Regarding the environment question: you can put the shunt inside a IP65 enclosure and use cable glands for all wires.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mule29 avatar image mule29 commented ·

Do you think enclosure will interfere with the bluetooth signal?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 mule29 commented ·

Probably, but can't say by how much. I have mine in a IP 65 cabinet and I can access it by Bluetooth, but I mostly check it via Cerbo GX.

You have the option of BMV. It has two components (shunt and display), connected with a cable between them (I think the cable is 10m long).

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic