question

corbijn avatar image
corbijn asked

SmartSolar 100/20 Lifepo4 100AH - expert settings

Hi There,

I have a 100AH Lifepo4 battery with the SmartSolar 100/20 MMPT charger.

The Lifepo4 battery has a charge voltage of 14.6 v and a nominal voltage of 12.8. All the equipment is brand new.

I note the Victron default Lifepo4 setting only charges at 14.2 and 13.5 float.

I'm assuming I can use the expert mode to set this to 14.6v for absorption but not sure what I should use for the float voltage?

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery MonitorLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @corbijn,

yes you can and should alter the settings in accordance with the specs of your battery manufacturer. For float voltage ask your manufacturer or refer to the data sheet of the battery.

But you most probably wouldn't go wrong if you leave it at 13.5V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

corbijn avatar image
corbijn answered ·

Thanks Stephanie :) I have emailed the manufacturer. Is there any wisdom in using slightly lower than the full 14.6 voltage? Extend battery life etc?

2 comments
2 |3000

There is a lot of rumours going on regarding lower absorption voltage (and float voltage). Victron for example recommends 14.2V/13.5V. Maybe because of tiny differences in the chemistry or just to be on the safe side. Who knows.

But in my opinion you should go with what the manufacturer suggests.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

For LiFePO4 you should keep the cell voltage under 3.6V (and that is if you have a BMS which can turn off the charging if a cell reaches that level (based on monitoring individual cell voltages, not based on battery voltage; without such a BMS, you should use a much lower limit for battery voltage, like 13.8V for a 4 cell battery).

So for a 4 cell battery, this means absolute maximum battery voltage 3,6Vx4=14.4V.

Safer to use a lower value, such as 14.2V.

0 Likes 0 ·
smoketest avatar image
smoketest answered ·

My thought i use 3.5v x4 = 14v max that is 96% full . If you charge 100% you get less life and it gives you room for safety on bms. You do not need float lithium battery are not like agm or lead . You are miss out on total solar input. Tighten spec 13.5 v float and 13.5v absorption. keep battery at pike voltage

1 comment
2 |3000

solarbaby avatar image solarbaby commented ·
Hi, I was just wondering, do you have adaptive absorption turned on? Also, what time duration do you have it set to? Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·