question

pmikep avatar image
pmikep asked

Feature Request: Auto-Import Settings on Firmware Update

Maybe it does this already after flashing. But I don't know because I've never saved a Settings file before. (Until now.)

So, I had tweaked my MultiPlus settings the way I liked them. Then a firmware update popped up.

Okay, stupid me - I should have saved my Settings file before updating the firmware. But I didn't.

So, FR #1: How about a prompt before updating firmware, asking "Do you want to save your current Settings before updating?"

But more importantly (and I knew, from prior experience that Victron does this), when I flashed the new firmware, all my Settings return to default. That includes a whopping 50A charge to my batteries. Yikes!

So, FR #2: How about if, after the firmware is done (or probably before it starts, given the nature of a firmware update) if VictronConnect asks if you would like it to pre-load an Imported Settings file before the until re-initializes?

I realize that, if there's a major change to the firmware, some of the old Settings might not transfer over one for one to the new. That's okay. Anything is better than going back to Default.

(Edited to add the word "not" to the last paragraph.)

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerfeature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Before the update starts there is a warning that all settings are reset to default during the update process.

"That includes a whopping 50A charge to my batteries."

Just do the update with the AC IN disconnected, restore your settings and connect AC IN after that.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @pmikep,

Apologies for that, this is an upcoming feature/improvement to VictronConnect.

2 comments
2 |3000

pmikep avatar image pmikep commented ·

Good to hear! Since you all are thinking about it already, might I suggest a more friendly "failsafe" default charge current other than 50A? (I wonder what the history behind that number is?) Perhaps a more safe 10A as a default? That way, users running off of home 120 VAC (USA) with 15 Amp max household wiring won't be watching the lights go dim when a 50 A charger kicks in.

0 Likes 0 ·

In the past the default charge current was reduced from the maximum like you suggest. I was not part of the team at the time it was changed back, but I believe the number of complaints and confusion from people who were not getting the full charge power from the unit out of the box lead to it being changed to the maximum. That could be completely incorrect, and I am certainly missing some details.

Suffice to say, I don't think it will be reduced by default again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus Product page Quattro Product page 

MultiPlus 230V ManualQuattro 230V Manual

MultiPlus 230V Datasheet Quattro 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codesVE.Bus configuration guide

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.