question

dfraizer avatar image
dfraizer asked

Temperature probe output location

I am upgrading my electrical system on my boat and have the following VE equipment:

2 X Lithium Smart 12.8v 200 amp batteries

BMV-712

Multiplus 120v 3000 12 Charger/Inverter

Cerbo GX with touch 50

BMS CL 100 12

Batery protect 65 & 100

My question is where the temp probe should sit. I currently have it oFr my multiplus with 2 positive wires running from my shunt to service and engine battery. The schematic I got from my Victron installer indicated the temp probe should come off the shunt? If I do that how do I feed my 712 readout with battery info And power?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The temperature sensor that came with the MultiPlus should connect directly to the MultiPlus with the sensor bolted to the negative terminal of the battery. This will then allow for temperature compensated charging Lead Acid batteries when charging from the MultiPlus.
This sensor is for the MultiPlus, do not connect this to your shunt.

On the shunt, +B1 goes to your main battery, the one you want to monitor.
+B2 offers a few different options, you choose one option. This setting is found under Aux input in the VictronConnect App.
If you want to monitor the Voltage of the start battery then connect +B2 there and choose the function of +B2 to Start Battery.
If you want to monitor the temperature of the main battery the you need to purchase the optional BMV-712 temperature sensor. This is a different type of sensor to the one which came with the MultiPlus. This type connects to the positive terminal of your main battery. Then you will monitor all the parameters of the main battery including temperature. Choose Temperature from the options for +B2
Finally +B2 can be used as mid-point monitoring of the battery bank. If you have access to the terminal in the middle of the battery bank, then you can connect a wire there to +B2 and choose mid point. You are probably not interested in this last option, but I am just mentioning it as one of the options available for +B2.

You cannot monitor temperature AND start battery at the same time.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor