question

gav31 avatar image
gav31 asked

What Victron control unit for solar, multiplus 12/1600 & dc-dc charger?

Hi all,

I’ve done as much research as I can but have completely confused myself.

I have a VW T5 and am looking to kit out with a Victron off Grid set up.

180watt solar panel with MPPT controller.

100ah lithium battery with built in BMS and Bluetooth. - not Victron.

Victron smart 30amp Dc-Dc charger.

Victron inverter/charger 12/1600.

My question - What do I require to control all of the inputs?? I am looking at the Cerbo GX and touch screen controller, would this be what is required?

Any help is greatly appreciated?

Thank you,

Gav.

offgridcampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Gav31,

it depends on what you mean with control all of the inputs.

The Cerbo GX connects pretty nicely via VE.Bus to the MultiPlus 12/1600 and you can control the inverter/charger.

For all other devices it requires at least a VE.Direct connection. The Orion-tr smart does not have VE.Direct and can only be controlled via VictronConnect app.

If the MPPT is from Victron, then it needs to be hooked up the same way via VE.Direct to get some data into the Cerbo. Control of settings again via VictronConnect app bluetooth.

For all your other non Victron devices I suggest adding at least a battery monitor to your system, like the BMV-712 or SmartShunt, so that you can see how much current is going in and out and have info about state of charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gav31 avatar image
gav31 answered ·

Thank you Stefanie.

When I say control, i mean what would stop each of the inputs over charging the battery and/or control which is the most suitable load to be charging the battery with at any given time.

As I now understand it each individual part IE dc-dc / MPPT and inverter charger will all have upper and lower limits to cut off charging before the batteries BMS would shut off everything??

I will add in a smart shut to allow monitoring of all systems. Thank you for pointing that out it’s appreciated.

Have I missed anything or do I have anything wrong?

Thank you,

Gav.

3 comments
2 |3000

@Gav31,

in a lithium system it is always the BMS that should control the charge sources and in some way also the loads ie. stopping the chargers when batteries are fully charged, low temperature or an overvoltage alarm is issued and cut off the loads in case of low battery voltage switch on/allow to charge.

I suppose the BMS is built-in into your battery. However, you need to study the manual for the BMS and figure out how it can control the chargers.

In your system the Cerbo GX becomes more or less a monitoring device.

ps. don't reply with a new answer. #1 It doesn't make sense and #2 the one trying to help does not get notified. Simply use the reply or in some cases the comment button.

0 Likes 0 ·
gav31 avatar image gav31 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Ok thank you, makes sense.

I’ll look at the battery BMS but I also know that each individual part can be set up to shut off as above if needed so should be protected both ways. I could add in a battery protect but I don’t see the need With the other control measures in place. (I hope that’s right)

I think I will avoid the Cerbo GX and just have a smart shunt to monitor everything on my phone.

Thank you for all the help,

Gav

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ gav31 commented ·

Yes you can do it that way. But the BMS should have priority, simply for safety purposes.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Offgrid page