question

bonie-wanda avatar image
bonie-wanda asked

Johannesburg. ZA ( Which generator should I use for Victron Multiplus II 3kw?

Hi all.

We are in the middle of a long outag, at 20hrs now and its raining, so my pv panels are not helping much.

I am considering a generator to plug to my Multiplus II 48v 3000va.

I understand the must have a bigger po output than 3000va and must match the voltahe of 230/240vac for my input.

what are your generators brand recommendations based on your experiences?

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

I had the same problem and decided to use DC generator and charge batteries from it instead supplying AC to the Multiplus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dean-boltman avatar image
dean-boltman answered ·

Just for some context, will you please share the full details of your system - Inverter, batteries and PV etc - I'd like to mimic this for my home in ZA.

1 comment
2 |3000

bonie-wanda avatar image bonie-wanda commented ·

It’s a:

multiplus II 48v 3000va 35/32;

2x pylontech 3.5kwh;

2x mppt and 2 pv arrays totalling 3,500w

0 Likes 0 ·
dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

You will need to buy a pure sine wave generator minimum 5kva. best to go with a 6 kva silent generator if you can get, just to make sure you are covering your load. You should look at what is available and serviced in your area. Petrol or Diesel the suppliers will give you info of the benefits and or flaws of each. generally in the silent options you will get a diesel and it will be more economical. They can give you an option of a standby or continuous. Standby generators are made to run for short periods at a time where as continuous is rated to run all the time.

5 comments
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Diesel can get spoiled by bacteria if not used for longer time.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ marekp commented ·

You can use additives to prevent that.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp markus ♦♦ commented ·

Can you help by pointing me to those additives?

For how long they stop this bacteria infestation?

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ marekp commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp markus ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·