question

bert-williams avatar image
bert-williams asked

Victron Lifepo4 100ah superpack installation

I mounted my Victron superpack 100ah lithium battery vertically in my 2016 MB Sprinter Airstream Interstate RV as the battery box and under-chassis requires. I later heard that the batteries need to be installed upright. What are the Consequences of mounting them vertically as previous batteries were mounted?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @bert-williams, welcome to the Community!

Possible overheating, since the BMS and its cooling system is designed for heat dissipation in an upright installation, and possible internal structural failure -again, since the battery and its internal support structure/shock baffling is designed for an upright installation- are the two main consequences that I'd be concerned about in this case.

Understand, I'm quite certain that it will work perfectly well for some period of time, but you hit the wrong pothole or go down the wrong washboard road and you could run into problems; failure of this type would also not be covered under warranty, if it was determined to have been caused by improper installation.

See the datasheet here, which does specify "Use in upright position only".

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic