question

tim22 avatar image
tim22 asked

Charging start battery from leisure bank

I have a 200 ah LiFePO4 leisure bank on my boat and a FLA start battery. I would like to charge the start battery from the leisure battery. I would like to be able to do this manually and without any reliance on external charging such as mppt, alternator, shore power etc. running. Think of an AC - DC charger where you turn on the charger and it charges the battery. Is there a product that will do this? The Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC charger non-isolated was suggested But I can’t find any documentation as to how it would fit this scenario.

Thanks

Tim

orion-tr smartvictron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @tim22,

this is absolutely possible. I'm doing the same using a Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC charger.

The smaller non-isolated has 30A. This might be a bit too much for a flooded lead acid starter battery supposed they are usually less than 100Ah.

But the isolated version has a 18A version. This is the one I'm using. My starter battery is serving also the bow-thruster and windlass and I'm controlling the charger manually via VictronConnect.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tim22 avatar image tim22 commented ·

Thanks @Stefanie I will look into the 18A version as it sounds perfect.

Tim

0 Likes 0 ·