question

max78 avatar image
max78 asked

Multiplus 2 with small emergency Generator

Hi,

I'm new here.

I planning an ESS System with a Multiplus 2 (3000 or 5000) and a 48V LiFepo4 (Pylontech).

For this I found everything I like to know in this forum.

But when there is a blackout I like to recharge the batteries with a small generator.

I’ll plane to use a relay or switch to change the AC IN from the Grid IN to the Generator.

But with this I have some questions?

• Is it easy to change from ESS to a Generator Input in the Software, or do I have to reconfigure all?

• I only need a small cheap Generator (1-2kW) for recharging the batteries. Is this working? Are there any recommendation?

• I heard cheap Generator can go up to about 350V. Is this safe for the Victron and the devices behind?

Thanks, Markus

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1. Most (every?) generators will not work with a grid code used for ESS, so you will have to configure this every time.
With a Quattro you can use both without changing the settings.
But depending on where you live you will need an external Anti-Islanding relay.
As far as I know a Quattro-II is currently under development but there is no ETA now.

2. The minium input current limit you can set for the MP-II 3000VA is 3A / 3.7A (5.7A for the 5000VA), so the generator needs to have at least 800W continuous power.

3. The Multi will not accept to high voltages but way to high voltages can damage the Multi.
I would recommend not to buy such a cheap generator.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kaischmitz avatar image kaischmitz commented ·

I'm thinking about building a similar set up, but in a 3 phase configuration.

It seems a bit like a waste of money having to buy a quattro for the rare case of a prolongued power outage, especially since the Multiplus HW can handle the generator input but not in ESS config it seems.

Is there any way to switch the AC input type (normal case: ESS with grid code and feed-in/ rare case: no feed-in for generator) based on an input signal on AUX1 or AUX2 wired to a manual GEN/GRID transfer switch?

Maybe it would even be cheaper to just add another AC battery charger for this purpose, could this be handled by the battery management of ESS?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ kaischmitz commented ·

You can also install an external Anti-Islanding relay.
So you can use simple grid code that is working with your generator and a switch to switch the AC IN of the Multi between grid and generator.

I don't think it is possible to change the grid settings with an AUX input.
You can download and install VE.config on you PC an run it in a demo mode to play around with the settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
max78 avatar image
max78 answered ·
Thanks a lot for the fast and good answers.

Is the reconfiguration only a few clicks (or load the setup) or do I have to reconfigure everything new?

Is a generator with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) like Einhell TC-PG 35/E5 working for this or is an inverter recommended?
1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Changing the settings is done in a few minutes you just have to load a saved config file and send it to the Multi.

IDK what generator is good or not.

0 Likes 0 ·