question

hhaley avatar image
hhaley asked

Can the Bluetooth dongle be mounted outside in the environment?

I haven't seen any information regarding the recommended installation requirements for the dongle.

I had a SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 installed in a wooden shed about 35 feet from my house. 80% of the time, I could access the controller using the VictronConnect app from the couch in my living room. I could also see the SmartShunt but the bluetooth signal wasn't strong to connect. I also have a BatterySense but Victron Connect app cannot see it from my house.

Because I added additional solar panels to increase production during the winter months, I had to change charge controllers to a SmartSolar 100/50,

From inside my house, the VictronConnect app cannot even see any Victron bluetooth devices once I changed charge controllers.

I decided to buy the Bluetooth Dongle with should arrive in a few days. It was my intention to mount the dongle on the outside of the shed facing the house. I'm near Boston, Ma so it will be somewhat exposed to the elements including ice and snow. Is this a bad idea? Like I said, I didn't see any recommended mounting or installation instructions in the online manual.

If it can't be mounted in the elements, I plan on installing a small weatherproof enclosure on the shed and install the dongle inside of it.

VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
marc-de-montreal avatar image
marc-de-montreal answered ·

hi, the cable have 1.5 meters and signal up to 20 meters in open space.. the box look able to be outside but with only 1.5m of wire, why not to put on your shed wall near your house? (20meters = 60feets+)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic