question

wandering-bison avatar image
wandering-bison asked

Data Protocol for Multiplus Inverter/Charger

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can point me to the Data Protocol used to control the state of a MultiPlus Inverter/Charger.

I would like to replace the MultiDigital controller function with a RaspberryPI or Arduino. I believe that it is possible to replace the MultiDigital when connected using an MK2/MK3 USB interface.

I understand that the protocol is available but I have to make a request to Victron (aka. "not for the faint of heart" :)) but I can't seem to find how to make the request.

Thanks in advance.

modifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

This has been asked before and due to the complexity of Ve.Bus Victron does not disclose this protocol. I haven't looked but the USB side of the MK3 might be more available. But I'd guess not.

I would say the easiest thing to do is to put Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi. I recently replaced my CCGX with a Pi 4 and the "official 7" touchscreen" and it's great.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

It's interesting because I have seen other users (Google is your friend) who have received the protocol, or at least a portion of the protocol to allow me to do what I want to do).

I will also be replacing my Venus with an RPi after I sort out some of my challenges (I've gotten most of what I want to get working) but didn't believe you could actually control the inverter state this way.

I should add that I'm using Victron LiPo smart batteries and link the BMS with my Venus device, which I believe is the key limitation preventing inverter control - see here Victron Community

If it's working for you, I'd love to know more.

Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
juan3211 avatar image
juan3211 answered ·

Hi, I would like also to get MK3 protocol. I have found a MK2 protocol, but I don't know if MK3 is different. Otherwise, why Victron has change its name? Please tell me about differences between MK2 and MK3 and publish last revision of protocol, thanks.

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The latest VE Bus protocol can be obtained from:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Technical-Information-Data-communication-with-Victron-Energy-products_EN.pdf

This goes into the differences between the Mk2 and the Mk3 ( a few extra commands).

This will allow you to control the state of the multiplus, and read back all of the parameters.

2 |3000

juan3211 avatar image
juan3211 answered ·

Hi, @Mike Dorsett thanks a lot. I know you published the mk2 protocol, but, what about getting UART or RS485 from the "internals" of mk3-usb cable? Is there anty test point in the pcb board from which we could get uart communication "before" the usb port?

2 |3000