question

wandering-bison avatar image
wandering-bison asked

Data Protocol for Multiplus Inverter/Charger

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can point me to the Data Protocol used to control the state of a MultiPlus Inverter/Charger.

I would like to replace the MultiDigital controller function with a RaspberryPI or Arduino. I believe that it is possible to replace the MultiDigital when connected using an MK2/MK3 USB interface.

I understand that the protocol is available but I have to make a request to Victron (aka. "not for the faint of heart" :)) but I can't seem to find how to make the request.

Thanks in advance.

modifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

This has been asked before and due to the complexity of Ve.Bus Victron does not disclose this protocol. I haven't looked but the USB side of the MK3 might be more available. But I'd guess not.

I would say the easiest thing to do is to put Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi. I recently replaced my CCGX with a Pi 4 and the "official 7" touchscreen" and it's great.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wandering-bison avatar image wandering-bison commented ·

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

It's interesting because I have seen other users (Google is your friend) who have received the protocol, or at least a portion of the protocol to allow me to do what I want to do).

I will also be replacing my Venus with an RPi after I sort out some of my challenges (I've gotten most of what I want to get working) but didn't believe you could actually control the inverter state this way.

I should add that I'm using Victron LiPo smart batteries and link the BMS with my Venus device, which I believe is the key limitation preventing inverter control - see here Victron Community

If it's working for you, I'd love to know more.

Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
juan3211 avatar image
juan3211 answered ·

Hi, I would like also to get MK3 protocol. I have found a MK2 protocol, but I don't know if MK3 is different. Otherwise, why Victron has change its name? Please tell me about differences between MK2 and MK3 and publish last revision of protocol, thanks.

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The latest VE Bus protocol can be obtained from:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Technical-Information-Data-communication-with-Victron-Energy-products_EN.pdf

This goes into the differences between the Mk2 and the Mk3 ( a few extra commands).

This will allow you to control the state of the multiplus, and read back all of the parameters.

2 |3000

juan3211 avatar image
juan3211 answered ·

Hi, @Mike Dorsett thanks a lot. I know you published the mk2 protocol, but, what about getting UART or RS485 from the "internals" of mk3-usb cable? Is there anty test point in the pcb board from which we could get uart communication "before" the usb port?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.