question

lacadienne avatar image
lacadienne asked

Considering an Orion TR smart on the battery isolator output for a Li bank

I was considering using an Orion TR-smart between my battery isolator and my 4x100Ah LiFePO4 bank. The isolator has 5 connections 2 alternator inputs and 3 battery outputs. The application is on a a catamaran where my solar PV panels charge my Li batteries very well most of the time, The isolator is connected to the Hitachi 80A alternators on my port and starboard engines, and the outputs are connected to two 100Ah AGM starter batteries (outputs 1 and 2) and the 400Ah LiFePO4 house bank (output 3). I was concerned that if I were to run an engine or two, and my Li bank was not nearly charged I could end up overheating my alternator(s) by drawing too much current. With the batteries nearly fully charged I still saw the Li bank draw 50A from an alternator when one engine was running. Would the 30A Orion TR smart not only provide a current limit of 30A being drawn for the output #3, while also providing the optimal charging voltage for the Li bank at the same time the AGMs were charging at the appropriate voltage?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
lwitty avatar image
lwitty answered ·

I am looking to do something very similar but on a mono-hull (so only half your problem!). I purchased the Orion 30A isolated version with the intention of supplying the alternator input voltage to the Orion from the existing isolator (manual here: http://files.eneq.webnode.gr/200000608-492664a1f2/isolator%201e-2ig.pdf). So, one output of the isolator to the Orion then to 400ah LIFEPO4 bank, and other output straight to the 100ah starter battery.

I am about ready to hook up the new LIFEPO4 batteries and the Orion but getting some cold feet as I feel I may be missing something when I saw this post. Any update on your project?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Pantelis Zirinis avatar image
Pantelis Zirinis answered ·

Having exactly the same problem on my catamaran. On top of that I would like to connect the Orion on my Cerbo GX, so the charging is controller by the BMS. Such a connection is not available though.

The other solution is to use the REC bms octo 2 relay, so it would act a a charge disconnect.

On top of that I am also wondering whether it can be connected on my isolator, so both of my engine alternators can be used.

Did you have any luck connecting it to the isolator?

2 |3000

gussie avatar image
gussie answered ·

Thanks for the information, I will try to figure it out for more. Keep sharing such informative post keep suggesting such post.

My CC Pay

2 |3000