question

vtwin996 avatar image
vtwin996 asked

Waterproofing a Smart Shunt

I recently installed a Smart Shunt in the battery box in my Class A motorhome. The shunt worked fine until the first trip after which it was reporting crazy numbers and would not connect reliably to the app via bluetooth. The battery box is semi enclosed with several sections open for venting. I was driving in heavy rain and wondering if it got wet enough to cause the problems. I replaced the unit but need to some ideas to water proof the shunt. Doesn't look like Victron sells a waterproof box for this unit.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

How much room do you have for a box?

Can you upload a pic of the mounted shunt?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vtwin996 avatar image vtwin996 commented ·

img-1167.jpgA couple of pictures

img-1166.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1167.jpg (112.9 KiB)
img-1166.jpg (131.6 KiB)
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Get a IP65 enclosure and use cable glands for all cables.

2 |3000

lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

If you want to go a little more hillbilly, boxes with lids like these are cheap, available anywhere, and easier to access in tight spaces for maintenance.

hillbilly-ip65.jpg

hillbilly-ip65.jpg (2.1 MiB)
2 |3000

dfraizer avatar image
dfraizer answered ·

I have the same problem, but on a boat application. I just ordered a water tight NEMA box with a clear cover and water tight glands. The other issue is that the 1 am slow burn fuses are not in a water tight fuse holder so I bought BlueSeas waterproof fuse holders.

1 comment
2 |3000

vtwin996 avatar image vtwin996 commented ·

DFraizer. Could you tell me which box you ordered? Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic