question

stefano-1 avatar image
stefano-1 asked

Can I connect 2 SMART SHUNTS to a CERBO GX?

Hi there,

I have a CERBO GX installed on my boat with a SMART SHUNT connected on Ve-Direct port 1 to monitor both start and service battery which are both 12V AGM.

I want to add a second smartshunt to monitor the battery used for the trolling motor which is a 24V LiFePo4 battery. Is there any particular issue in connecting this second SMART SHUNT to the Ve-Direct port 2 on the same CERBO ?

Thanks for you reply.

S.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @stefano@novello.me,

this is no problem. The 2nd shunt and its data will become visible under devices in the Cerbo GX.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sswallow72 avatar image sswallow72 commented ·
I knwo this is an old post, but is that confirmed? I have read that only 1 smart-shunt's data will be displayed. I have an Rpi version of the Cerbo and can confirm that I can only see 1 of the shunts.
0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill sswallow72 commented ·

If this is want you mean/want, from the manual...

7. All features and settings (victronenergy.com)

7.4.3. Monitor Mode

If you wish to use the battery monitor to monitor individual DC circuits rather than as a whole-of-system battery monitor, you can change the "Monitor mode" setting in the "Misc" menu from "Battery Monitor" to "DC Energy Meter".

If "DC meter" is selected, you can select the following types:

Solar charger, Wind charger, Shaft generator, Alternator, Fuel cell, Water generator, DC-DC charger, AC charger, Generic source, Generic load, Electric drive, Fridge, Water pump, Bilge pump, DC system, Inverter, Water heater.

When connected to a GX device, the type, the current and the power is shown in the user interface, and this information is also available on the VRM Portal.

When the GX device is also configured as type “has DC System”, the GX does more than just recording and visualisation:

1. The power shown in the DC system box is the sum of power reported by all battery monitors configured as such. Having multiple meters can be useful, for example, in a catamaran, so that the DC systems in the port hull and in the starboard hull are being measured.

2. The DC system current is being compensated for when setting DVCC charge current limits to inverter/chargers and solar chargers. For example, when a load of 50A is being measured, and CCL by the battery is 25A, the limit given to the inverter/charger or solar charger is 75A.

See the GX device documentation for more information about these advanced features, especially refer to the Distributed voltage and current control chapter.

dc-meter.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
dc-meter.jpg (122.1 KiB)