question

coenjo avatar image
coenjo asked

Orion DC-DC draining starter battery?

I installed an isolated Orion DC/DC Smart charger in our Sprinter a while back and we started having issues with the starter battery not too long after (van wouldn’t start). We switched the battery yesterday to exclude that it wasn’t holding charge and checked the voltage of the new one. In the evening it was showing 12.78 V. This morning (ca. 16 hours later) it was at 12.4 V. I’m wondering whether the Orion’s bluetooth/blinking led account for that drop, and if it makes sense to add a switch and turn the Orion off when not using/running the van for longer periods of time. NB: the VictronConnect app indicates that the Orion turns off when the engine does, so it doesn’t seem to be an issue of setting the right shut off voltage. Any help/advice much appreciated!

orion-tr smartstarter battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raywells1 avatar image raywells1 commented ·

I am having exactly the same problem. Did you resolve in the end?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @coenJo,

neither bluetooth nor the blinking LED of the Orion Smart DC-DC charger will drain your battery. It's drain is in the low mA range. I'm running one myself.
So there might be a different issue. But of course, it could make sense to add a switch, just to be on the safe side or just use the charger on/off from within VictronConnect.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

Can you list your settings so that we can see what the set points are. most likely they are set to low and the Orion is charging when the car is not running as it uses voltage level of starter battery to signal charge

2 |3000