question

mediacut avatar image
mediacut asked

What is the best way to connect Multiple MPPTs to Color Control?

Hello,

I have 4 MPPTs and 1 BMV and I want to add them to Color Control. MPPTs have also can.

Now, what's the best way to connect them?

- all via can and BMV via ve.direct

- 3 via can and 1 via ve.direct and BMV via ve.direct

- all 4 via USB and BMV to ve.direct

- all 5 devices via USB

My question is if I can mix connection (can, ve.direct and ve.usb) or need to add all on same connection type?

Second question: How many USB devices can add to Color Control max? I read in manual that 5 is max. processor can handle. If plan to add more MPPTs need to change my GX device?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

There are a few very similar questions about this topic:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/39803/multiple-mppt-and-colour-gx.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/71767/parallel-6no-10015-bluesolar-charge-controllers-to.html

If all your MPPTs have VE.Can I would recommend to use that. It's easier and cheaper to install.

I'm not sure if the limitations also apply to VE.Can.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mediacut avatar image mediacut commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE, thanks for answer. I not find also any info about limitation on can.

On many artworks its show that CAN connection can go up to 25 devices and is a photo of Color Control.

I have some issues with random MPPT that not start in the morning, it's show 0W even the other 3 MPPT with same panels produce over 300w each, and I was think that is because of the connection. That I ask if I can mix them in different connection types.

screenshot-2021-01-01-at-122526.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ mediacut commented ·

Mixing the different connection types is no problem.

If you hit the CPU limit you will recognise this by a slow responding interface and random restarts of the CCGX. You than should upgrade to the new Cerbo GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fabio De Pascale avatar image
Fabio De Pascale answered ·

Hi @mediacut and @Matthias Lange - DE . I was wondering if either of you figured out if the same color control gx limits of ve.direct apply to the ve.can. We just overloaded a color control gx with 8 ve.direct mppts, and indeed we are seeing random reboots. Have you figured whether the same 5 devices limits applies to the Ve.CAN?

Ve.Can would be a temporary solution while we get a cerbo or octo to site, but at least would allow us to run at full power for the time being.

Ciao
fabio

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
I never tested it because we never installed systems with so many MPPTs and we don't use the CCGX anymore because the Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50 costs the same and don't have that problem.
0 Likes 0 ·