question

mtnbrit avatar image
mtnbrit asked

Blue Smart IP65 charger user-defined preset for Valence XP12

Im wanting to pre-charge my 4 Valence XP12s equally prior to connecting them in parallel. I used the Li-ion setting but it seems to absorb at 14.2 and float/storage at 13.5. The Valence calls for charging to 14.6 and float at 13.8. I noticed somewhere in the manual it stated the Li-Ion preset used a special algorithm. So if I create a user-defined preset with those settings, will it pick up this "special" lipo algorithm, or will be the normal algorithm thats possibly not optimal for lithiums?Thanks for any advice or tips.

ip65
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @mtnbrit, welcome to the Community!

Valence batteries are not supported, so make sure that you're following the batteries' recommendations rather than any Victron presets, since there are no Victron presets.

That being said, you'll want to, yes, create your user-defined preset with your absorption/float voltages, but you'll also want to:

1. Make sure Recondition is disabled

2. Disable temperature compensation

3. Dial down the maximum absorption duration: personally I'd leave "adaptive" on, but dial down the maximum duration to maybe an hour or two.

After that, so long as you're following the recommendations for your batteries, you should be fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mtnbrit avatar image
mtnbrit answered ·

Great thank you. What do I set Float to? in the built-in lithium preset its set to 0 and storage seems to be the float voltage. Do I set float and storage the same, or leave float at 0 and storage to my float voltage?

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Given your stated specs in the OP, I would set your float to 13.8 as suggested and set your storage lower - 13.2 maybe - so that your batteries aren't just sitting there at float voltage all the time.

I mean, if you're just doing the initial charge, storage voltage likely doesn't matter much because you won't be hitting that stage in any case.

I'll also note that there IS a "LiFePO4" battery preset in the available battery charge profile options that's different from the main "Li-Ion" setting - the "LiFePO4" preset is the place to start, then. Select that preset and then adjust your voltages from there.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic