question

maciej-stolarek avatar image
maciej-stolarek asked

Combine AC charging with alternator and MPPT in my 4x4 vehicle

Hi Community,

I would like to ask you for support in building a complete power supply and battery charging solution (starter battery and aux battery). I have several assumptions and I am looking for a victron combination of solutions that will optimally solve my challenge in terms of cost. Those are:

1. when parked in front of the house, charging is to be done from the AC socket
  2. while driving, charging is to be done from the alternator
  3. during a stop in the wild, charging is to be done from solar panels on the roof.

I am not sure how to build such a system to meet all of the above. I will be grateful for your help

Greeting

Maciek

offgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Maciej Stolarek

The Victron Van is a showpiece for such an application. It may actually be a little overkill and some kit even dated a little. But a good place to start designing yours up.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/06/18/the-victron-van-install/

Follow the links..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jesse avatar image
Jesse answered ·

If cost is your main challenge then victron may not be for you, it isn’t the cheapest, but I think it is money well spent, and you can easily spend more with some brands that offer no obvious advantage.

You could save some money getting a cheaper 2 in one mppt plus dc charger like Projecta IDC25. I have one, I don’t hate it but it’s only about 80% conversion efficient. Any savings are lost in the need for bigger wires. I’m looking forward to replacing it with something victron...

For more specific ideas please give us more details of your intended usage.

2 |3000

Related Resources