question

bezda avatar image

Smart Battery Protect and Orion DC-DC

Hi, I'm planning to connect Orion DC-DC 24-12 into my lithium setup to support 12V loads and I was planning to connect that _after_ the Smart Battery Protect. Having thorough look into the SBP manual, it says that "The short circuit protection of the BP will be activated if you try to directly connect loads with capacitors on their input (eg inverters)". Does Orion have capacitors that could cause short circuits, or is it fine to connect it as I intended?

Thanks

Battery Protect
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
sponk avatar image
sponk answered ·

I have the same setup: A Orion 24/12-25 after a BP65. The BP65 does not go into short circuit protection, when the Orion is connected. Maybe the capacity is too small.

How did you end up with your installation?

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Why not use the BMS to shut down the Orion TR. you can use the H port as a remote switch. Details are in the Orion TR manual.

2 comments

The Orion is about 10 metres away from the BMS, so I'd need quite a big signal cable, plus another 10m of separate cables dedicated to the Orion (it's for 24V & 12V sockets)

No problem with 10m for a signal cable, amps are very low on the remote input.