question

joeoffgrid avatar image
joeoffgrid asked

No Devices under VictronConnect with OTG or Windows when using 3rd party adaptor

Hi there,

I have several different BlueSolars to configure.

While I can read their data from VE.Direct, the devices are not shown in VictronConnect (app or Windows).

The interface is a Prolific 2303. Firmwares of the BlueSolars between 1.08 and 1.16.

Thanks for your suggestions.

MPPT ControllersVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Lets clear some things up here.
1. You are not using a Victron VE.Direct USB cable right?
2. You are using a normal USB to serial converter with a prolific based chipset?

Do you know that a normal USB to DE9 serial converter is RS-232 (somewhere between 12V and 20V signals) serial and the MPPT is 5V TTL (5V signals)?

You can use an off the shelf converter but you need to be aware of the communication standards used and ensure that your signals are at the correct levels.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joeoffgrid avatar image joeoffgrid commented ·

1. Correct.

2. Yes.

It is TTL. Voltage is in the area between 2 and 5V on the chip. I could make this measurement.

But you are right, I don't have a good understanding of the protocoll and necessary settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
joeoffgrid avatar image
joeoffgrid answered ·

Lol. Voltage was the right keyword that made me rethink. It works now. Really stupid mistake... Should delete the question.

I didn't take power and ground from the controller but a different source... 🙈

My subconsciousness was happy with two cables (I used to work with CAN a lot).

2 |3000