question

bksutherland avatar image
bksutherland asked

Charge Ultracapacitor Array?

I have a 6 ultracapacitor array with dynamic balancing, which I use to run LED lighting and as a UPS for computers.

Ultracaps unlike batteries can recharge 100,000 - 1,000,000 times, and they avoid the harsh chemicals and metals batteries use.

However, these guys make a lot of current, and they often charge differently from batteries -- for example they typically charge to the open circuit voltage due to the near zero resistance.

The Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 Solar Charge Controller 100V 20A with Bluetooth seems designed for managing and maintaining batteries.

Can it also charge this array safely, from a Canadian Solar 300W panel, 44V open voltage?

battery chargingups
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

You might want some insulation on those exposed terminals / busbars

1 Like 1 ·
bksutherland avatar image bksutherland boekel ♦ commented ·

They are actually a metre off the ground, on a raised non-conductive platform. Point well taken, though!

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ bksutherland commented ·

would be interesting what happens, if you short those innocent looking cells...

0 Likes 0 ·
bksutherland avatar image bksutherland markus ♦♦ commented ·

I think the balancing circuitry also has a cut-off for short circuits. Yes, 10,000A of 12V is a lot.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It should be fine. In a 6S configuration the maximum "absorb" Voltage would be 17.1V.
I haven't had much dealings with Ultracapacitors, but I'd guess you'd want to have your "cell" Voltage a tiny bit below maximum.

With a MPPT 100/20, you'd select a 12V battery, then choose a custom "User Defined" charge profile. Set absorb and float to the same Voltage since capacitors only need one target Voltage (I suspect). The maximum Voltage the MPPT can reach in a 12V battery mode is 17.3V, so this should cover the Voltage of your array.

Why not "try-before-you-buy" and download the VictronConnect App today and choose the MPPT 100/20 from the list of demo models and play with the settings yourself.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bksutherland answered ·

Thanks, W. Kirby!

2 |3000

marijuss avatar image
marijuss answered ·

hello,

sorry for necroposting, but may I ask was it working normally after straight connection?

I'm planing scheme like this:

solar---victron mppt charger 75/50 ---ultracaps bank(30v)---victron dc-dc 18-30v-24v---load 24v

I have worries for autosensing 12/24v and other for starting with empty ultracaps bank - would charger shut down or not?

2 |3000

bksutherland answered ·

Hi, Marijuss:

I ended up with a different autosensing charger (not Victron although I still like Victron for my future domestic installation) and it does shut down with an autosensing fault when there is zero load (not connected), so I see your point.

I haven't tried it with the ultracaps on it yet, will have to do that when the snow clears off my test panel on the roof (pretty deep right now). However, I would guess putting a battery in parallel with the caps might solve that problem, as it's a common configuration for cold weather heavy engine starting -- you'd get more conventional resistance appearing to the MPPT, extra storage, as well as the peak shaving and materially benign benefit of the ultracaps.

DC-DC converters can act a little strange around ultracap arrays since they usually rely on oscillation circuits to buck/boost the voltage and capacitor arrays oscillate a bit as they accumulate and bleed power -- you can get some effects happening from the significant current levels the converter wasn't designed to handle if not careful.

~ BkSutherland

2 |3000

marijuss avatar image
marijuss answered ·

thanks, bksutherland.

it seems it will be experiments time.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic