question

cossie1600 avatar image
cossie1600 asked

Smart Shunt Voltage Question and Range

Hey guys, I have a Smart Shunt installed on my Motorhome. The car is equipped with a 330ah AGM 12v battery. According to the specs, 50% SOC should be around 12v on their website. Yet the last time I ran the battery down, it was showing 50% something at 11.5v. Is there something wrong with the logic or the software?

Also anyone has a problem with the range on the bluetooth? I have to be within 2 feet of the Shunt to get any receiption. I am seriously thinking about ripping it out and place the one with the battery gauge in since that is known to have better BT receiption

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @cossie1600, welcome to the Community!

As noted in the SmartShunt user manual:

"5.1 How does the SmartShunt work?

The main function of the SmartShunt is to follow and indicate the state of charge of a battery, to be able to know how much charge the battery contains and to prevent an unexpected total discharge. The SmartShunt continuously measures the current flow in and out of the battery. Integration of this current over time, if it was a fixed current, boils down to multiplying current and time and gives the net amount of Ah added or removed. For example: a discharge current of 10A for 2 hours will take 10 x 2 = 20Ah from the battery. To complicate matters, the effective capacity of a battery depends on the rate of discharge, the Peukert efficiency, and, to a lesser extent, the temperature. And to make things even more complicated: when charging a battery more energy (Ah) has to be ‘pumped’ into the battery than can be retrieved during the next discharge. In other words: the charge efficiency is less than 100%. The SmartShunt takes all these factors in consideration when calculating the state of charge."

So you can see that the SmartShunt is not using battery voltage at all for its SOC calculations; the manufacturer of your batteries may list rough equivalent battery voltages for approximate SOC, but the reality is that actual battery SOC is far more complicated than that and the SmartShunt is performing real calculations based on your usage (assuming that it's correctly programmed) rather than just wildly guessing based on voltage alone.

As for BT range, obviously the range of BT in any device depends on a multitude of factors with the most obvious one being installation location; the BMV-712 doesn't inherently have better range, it's just that the BT module is located in the display rather than on the shunt, and so since the display is more likely to be mounted in a living space away from wiring and steel battery boxes and etc, it's far less likely to encounter significant sources of interference.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cossie1600 avatar image
cossie1600 answered ·

I installed one of the stand alone BT Victron module for the Shunt. The range of it is much better as they are placed basically next to each other. I can get reception on the BT module from the front of the vehicle, the shunt doesn't even show up.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic